Care and diet for young aldabra

Status
Not open for further replies.

csihanat

5 Year Member
Hi,

I recently bought a 3 month old aldabra and I was hoping for some help regarding his general care and diet. I currently feed him lawn grass, kale, hibiscus, mulberry leaves, cactus, aloe, and rep cal tortoise food once a weed as well as calcium and d3 supplement with every meal. I have read from many sources that aldabras occasionally eat some sort of meat. Is this necessary, if so how often and what type of meat would be appropriate. Secondly, he has a relatively soft shell and the seller said that they all have softer shells when younger. As I've never had such a young tortoise before I was not sure how correct this information is. Apart from this he is eating very well, very active and is getting lots of direct sunlight. Thank you.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was hoping a more experienced Aldabran keeper would help you, but since they haven't I'll just give you a few pointers from when I raised mine.

I didn't supplement with calcium, and after they got to be about 10 years old I saw signs of MBD and calcium deficiency. So be sure the tortoise gets plenty of sunshine and a calcium supplement a couple times a week.

They will grow nice and smooth shells if you allow them to be in a humid hiding place, but keep them warm in the humidity, don't allow them to be cool.

I fed my aldabran tortoises just like you feed sulcatas or any other grazing tortoise. I never offered them any animal protein. I don't know if that's right or wrong.

They like to sit in the water.

That's about all I can think of right off.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
csihanat said:
I have read from many sources that aldabras occasionally eat some sort of meat. // Secondly, he has a relatively soft shell

* Congrats! We never provide any meat as food sources. Ours browse daily on a variety of natural grass, weeds, and sedges in natural sunshine with many shade options available for thermal regulation. We also provide a small quantity of good quality lettuce and cactus. We never provide any commercial foods or supplements to our young hatchlings. Ours always hatch with a soft shell, however quickly turn hard once they are placed outside in the sunshine.

Yvonne G said:
They like to sit in the water.

* Yes, they love water and seem to relish just sitting and soaking.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
ALDABRAMAN said:
* Yes, they love water and seem to relish just sitting and soaking.

Unfortunately mine doesn't like to soak, but he enjoys sitting on damned soil for hours. He does drink water sometimes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.