Carapace height variation?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Talk to me about the leopard tortoise catalase height and it's variations please. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE]
As y'all know I have three really pretty little Leo's. Two from Greg T. One from Arizona Sulcata.
Beans (Greg T baby) came to me as my smallest hatchling but very quickly became my largest. Watson (also from Greg T--and a clutch mate to Beans) has had steady fast growth and is very close to Beans in size. He was my largest upon arrival. These two tortoises have a very tall and bulbous carapace. Little half spheres with legs and pretty little heads. They are approximately 5 months old.

Freckles is unrelated, approximately 7 months old coming from Arizona Sulcata. She is my fearless busy body. Hilarious to watch. Gorgeous little thing with a lot of white in her shell. Highly speckled, freckled skin, hence her name. She is a hoot and a half. And an interesting characteristic is her carapace height. It is much less than her buddies. It's significantly less domed, which also makes her seem significantly smaller, despite her steady growth. Is the difference in carapace just a regular variation in all leopards? Are there carapace height differences between male and female leopards in adulthood?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392041988.540825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392042023.323096.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392042050.855369.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392042074.038359.jpg

And here are a couple of Watson. He is huge too lol.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392043264.821601.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392043171.505603.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I never looked that close but now I will. I'll let you know if I see that big of a difference in mine. My tiny Greg T baby (hatched in August) is now almost as big as my first one who is a few months older (Kelly Hull baby hatched in May) but I have never looked to see the "height" difference.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
They are looking great! :D

I don't know how or why the differences, but even my babies from the same clutch will come out with different characteristics. In my latest clutch, the first one came out very long and oval but not high, but the second two came out round and taller. Even though the eggs are basically similar, once they comeout they are all different. That is one thing I love about leopards - none are the same.