wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm curious as to what you mean by a prolapse.
I prolapse is when the Male or female sex organ comes out but they can't get it back in. It swells and they can't pull it back. It has to be fixed asap. When this happens a paste made from sugar is put on it. Sugar is suppose to bring the swelling down so it can be retracted or pushed back in. The prolapse also has to be kept wet so it doesn't dry out or it has to be amputated.
Honey if it would work like the sugar or even better I think would be easier to keep on then a sugar paste.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Would/Could honey be more beneficial in a prolapse then sugar?
I'm not sure if the concentration of sugar is strong enough to remove water from a priapism or other prolapsed organ because liquid honey already has a good deal of water in it.

If someone had crystallized (partially dehydrated) honey on hand, that might work. But dry granulated sugar would be my preference.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I prolapse is when the Male or female sex organ comes out but they can't get it back in. It swells and they can't pull it back. It has to be fixed asap. When this happens a paste made from sugar is put on it. Sugar is suppose to bring the swelling down so it can be retracted or pushed back in. The prolapse also has to be kept wet so it doesn't dry out or it has to be amputated.
Honey if it would work like the sugar or even better I think would be easier to keep on then a sugar paste.
I think you're right. The more I read about this manuka honey the more I like what it can do. And it's very good tasting. It's almost like a nut butter but thinner. The consistency seems like something that would allow that and take the inflammation down. I'm going to take a teaspoon every morning. I bought a good brand called wedderspoon with 16k factor. There's probably even better but that's what I'm starting with for my health. I'll have it on hand though if needed for my tort ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm not sure if the concentration of sugar is strong enough to remove water from a priapism or other prolapsed organ because liquid honey already has a good deal of water in it.

If someone had crystallized (partially dehydrated) honey on hand, that might work. But dry granulated sugar would be my preference.
I half remember something that causes honey to crystalize. I used to do it on purpose for my kids. It turned raw honey into a delicious candy. I think it was refrigerating it as opposed to keeping it warm which would keep it like a liquid. I'm pretty sure keeping manuka honey would be even worse refrigerated because it's so thick. It was hard to get them out a spoonful of regular raw honey let alone manuka ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here is a thread with a member going thru having a leopard with a prolapse.
Thread 'I have a two year old leopard tortoise named Jumoke. (penis prolapse)' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...-tortoise-named-jumoke-penis-prolapse.194453/
A lot of times it's due to dehydration or a blockage that the tort strains too hard.
Sometimes a stitch or more has to be put in with those that prolapse a lot.
Wow. When I looked it was really terrifying what that poor lady is going through. Thank God she has all of you to give her some moral support and experience to help her through it. I guess it's the same as for humans Don't get sick on the weekends or holidays.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I half remember something that causes honey to crystalize. I used to do it on purpose for my kids. It turned raw honey into a delicious candy. I think it was refrigerating it as opposed to keeping it warm which would keep it like a liquid. I'm pretty sure keeping manuka honey would be even worse refrigerated because it's so thick. It was hard to get them out a spoonful of regular raw honey let alone manuka ?
To reduce swelling, you need a greater concentration of sugar than water...so the honey would have to be really dehydrated, not just cold.

Lancaster, PA? Then you probably have Acme...this is partially dehydrated raw honey:

It would be a good thing to apply to a festering sore (or toast). But there's probably still too much water to treat a priapism.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
To reduce swelling, you need a greater concentration of sugar than water...so the honey would have to be really dehydrated, not just cold.

Lancaster, PA? Then you probably have Acme...this is partially dehydrated raw honey:

It would be a good thing to apply to a festering sore (or toast). But there's probably still too much water to treat a priapism.
No it's Ohio and I always bought from a farm. The honey was from yellow delicious apples and you could actually see the crystals in the honey. You could barely get it out of the jar.The refrigerator dries it out some also. I'm starting to remember. I did it by accident at first hoping to keep it fresh and then did it on purpose for my kids.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

This may not be an option as it possibly could sting. But how about salt? Salt in cooking draws out the water in foods, besides enhancing flavor.

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
I'm curious about updates on this cutie pie! Odd ball shell flaking. Did that honey cause any changes at all....?
I don't actually have that honey and I am not sure where to find it? I went to the pharmacy and picked up chlorhexidine gluconate 4% solution and diluted that instead because sources said it was safe for reptiles.

I may just order the honey online because I am not sure if she is getting better or worse. The spots that were peeling have been problem areas on her plastron since I got her two years ago (we noticed discoloration even then). Now the damaged plastron is coming off and I don't like what is underneath at. All. She is still acting fine - active, hungry, sassy.

But her plastron is not looking great. Attached is a photo of her plastron that I just took tonight before giving her a soak and gently scrubbing her down with a soft bristled toothbrush and some mild, scentless soap.

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_232001179.jpg
    PXL_20211030_232001179.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I don't actually have that honey and I am not sure where to find it? I went to the pharmacy and picked up chlorhexidine gluconate 4% solution and diluted that instead because sources said it was safe for reptiles.

I may just order the honey online because I am not sure if she is getting better or worse. The spots that were peeling have been problem areas on her plastron since I got her two years ago (we noticed discoloration even then). Now the damaged plastron is coming off and I don't like what is underneath at. All. She is still acting fine - active, hungry, sassy.

But her plastron is not looking great. Attached is a photo of her plastron that I just took tonight before giving her a soak and gently scrubbing her down with a soft bristled toothbrush and some mild, scentless soap.
Walmart carries the Manuka honey. And of course I'd rather have you take Yavonne's advice either way. The honey is expensive. It's about $20 for 8.8 oz. I bought Wedderspoon brand. I researched it and you can also get it from Australia instead of New Zealand. I's probably just as good. It's honey from the Tea tree ?

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
Walmart carries the Manuka honey. And of course I'd rather have you take Yavonne's advice either way. The honey is expensive. It's about $20 for 8.8 oz. I bought Wedderspoon brand. I researched it and you can also get it from Australia instead of New Zealand. I's probably just as good. It's honey from the Tea tree ?
I did order some today after updating about her plastron! Now I shall... Also get athlete's foot cream?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I did order some today after updating about her plastron! Now I shall... Also get athlete's foot cream?
Both pieces of advice came from Yavonne. I looked up the honey and found out it's also good for my health problems so I bought some. I'll have some on hand for my tortoise if needed though too. It's a win win.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Athlete's foot cream? Can you explain why? I trust you, but I don't know how that is supposed to help.
Athlete’s foot cream is an antifungal treatment. It is widely suggested/used here and quite inexpensive. Many members find it at the dollar store. Good luck!