For-Mr.Spock

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello!

My Russian tortoise is a wild caught, I got her from PetSmart two years ago, and she is somewhere between 5 and 10 years old as well as we can tell. She is active and has a good appetite. When I first got her, she had some she'll damage that has been very slowly healing. She has also had a lot of new growth over the past few years.

Today, I felt something rough on her carapace and turned her over. Some of old, injured scute had flaked off and revealed something underneath that looks dirty and very much not good. It isn't wet, so I don't think it's shell rot. The photos are attached.

The area itself has been a problem since I got her. Attached is also a before photo of before the damaged parts flaked off taken in 2020. You can see that the area where the damaged scute came off was discolored even a year ago.

Any idea what this is?

Attachments

• PXL_20211011_234931834.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20211011_234931834.NIGHT.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20211011_234937295.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211011_234937295.PORTRAIT.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • 20200814_150644.jpg
    20200814_150644.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 79

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's on an area where new growth appears. It might have been some sort of rot or fungus that wasn't treated. If it were my tortoise I would soak the tortoise to soften the area, then try to pick out everything that will come out easily, then use honey to kill any bacteria that may be present. It helps in the healing process.

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
That's on an area where new growth appears. It might have been some sort of rot or fungus that wasn't treated. If it were my tortoise I would soak the tortoise to soften the area, then try to pick out everything that will come out easily, then use honey to kill any bacteria that may be present. It helps in the healing process.
Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yvonne, isnt the honey a certain kind. It's not the regular stuff that people buy to put on toast and eat?
This is one kind I found. Basically medical grade kinds.
(Manuka honey is used in medical settings to treat wounds because it's been found to be an effective germ killer and also aids in tissue regeneration. Studies show that Manuka honey can boost healing time and reduce infection).

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm curious about updates on this cutie pie! Odd ball shell flaking. Did that honey cause any changes at all....?
It's funny but I'm thinking of trying manuka honey myself... that way if my tort ever needs some I'll have it on hand ? they say it's good for IBS.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's funny but I'm thinking of trying manuka honey myself... that way if my tort ever needs some I'll have it on hand ? they say it's good for IBS.
Raw honey is an old time medicine also for the upper respiratory system. I need both.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Manuka honey is used in medical settings to treat wounds because it's been found to be an effective germ killer and also aids in tissue regeneration. Studies sho
This type of honey is good used for URI in torts as well as bacterial infections?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Is it more of a topical? 0_o
It's downright delicious! And as it turns out really good for humans also. I bought some today and to get the real stuff is expensive. It was around $23 for 8.8 ozs. Supposedly, it will help IBS so it's worth a try. I've seen our raw honey from the US do some really good things. This stuff is very thick and concentrated. I intend to try it...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This type of honey is good used for URI in torts as well as bacterial infections?
This is the kind that is suppose to be used for wounds etc, correct. Not just honey, which most would think of the regular kind we put on toast and comes in the cute teddy bear bottle. That's not the right kind, correct?
Or doesn't it matter?
Whenever I have seen it listed for wound care, it has not been regular honey we all think of.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
This is the kind that is suppose to be used for wounds etc, correct. Not just honey, which most would think of the regular kind we put on toast and comes in the cute teddy bear bottle. That's not the right kind, correct?
Or doesn't it matter?
Whenever I have seen it listed for wound care, it has not been regular honey we all think of.
All honey has a few antioxidants and antibacterial compounds in it...the more processed, the fewer beneficial compounds survive.

Raw honey contains more than processed honey. Manuka honey contains the strongest antioxidant compounds in the greatest amount world-wide. That is why is it so expensive.

Honeys (and other bee-produced items) have been used medicinally since people began collecting it wild. The sugar and active constituents are beneficial in many ways.

Greek honey may actually be stronger than Manuka:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
One way to tell if you have raw honey from the US is to stick a teaspoon in it (and of course lick the spoon clean after) does the honey foam up around the area that you inserted the spoon. That means it still has the antibacterial and etc... honey has always been one of my best medicines.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All honey has a few antioxidants and antibacterial compounds in it...the more processed, the fewer beneficial compounds survive.

Raw honey contains more than processed honey. Manuka honey contains the strongest antioxidant compounds in the greatest amount world-wide. That is why is it so expensive.

Honeys (and other bee-produced items) have been used medicinally since people began collecting it wild. The sugar and active constituents are beneficial in many ways.

Greek honey may actually be stronger than Manuka:
Would/Could honey be more beneficial in a prolapse then sugar?