Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
View attachment 161366
My tips for long distance car travel:

This is especially intended for cold rides.​
-
-

Before you leave:
---Buy "Hot hands" or other brand handwarmers. If you can't find them in your local sporting goods department, you can order them on Amazon year round. You MUST have these in case of an emergency.
View attachment 161364
---Assemble your travel setup as early as possible to monitor the temperature and sort out any issues.
---Make your tortoise spend time in the travel set up as often as possible before you travel. A little time over several days will really help your tortoise feel more comfortable and safe when it's time to hit the road.
---Focus on Hydration and soak your tortoise a lot the week before you travel. If your tortoise is severely stressed he may not eat and drink as he should. Soak often and mist your tortoise's food with water leading up to the trip to make sure you he is as healthy as possible.

What to pack for your tortoise:
View attachment 161370
---Handwarmers!!! We always pack tons of these. If your heating cuts out for any reason, you can place the handwarmers in towels around the inside of your container.
---Small temp gun
---Extra aluminum foil and tape
---Extra CHE is a good idea
---Water (we keep emergency water and a few snacks in our car for people and pets too)
---Food for a few days (you can always buy greens at your destination, but keep some with you too)
---Dried food like Mazuri is a good idea
---A wad of bags to grab out soiled substrate
---Your soaking tub. (Our soaker tub has always been large, so we use this to store all the packed supplies)
-
-
The Travel Setup

View attachment 161372
We picked up the largest Tupperware type storage bin we could get, kept the lid, and cut a large hole in the lid for a light and a Ceramic Heat Emitter.

View attachment 161373
Wrap the edges of your cut-out hole in Aluminum foil just in case your heating elements bump into the plastic.
-
-
Here's a few peeks at how the inside is set up...

View attachment 161374
We use towels just to keep everything a bit tighter and more snug. Our tortoise is comfortable enough that she does move around, eat, and drink. The towels are also a good idea to bring along, because you can wrap the hand-warmers in them in case of an emergency. Our Sulcata has never tried to eat the towels, but you know your tortoise best. We've also never had problems using a plastic water and food dish when we travel.-So far so good!:) If you're afraid your tortoise will try to eat the plastic, use something else.

View attachment 161375
Hide:
Our hide is simply a buried cat litter container. She's starting to outgrow this and next trip, we'll probably just make a tarp "curtain" over the back half of the container.

Travel Lights are not for every tort:
Notice the simple battery powered push-light inside. When we first travelled with our tortoise, we kept it completely dark hoping this would help her feel safe. *Dark is probably a good idea for a really scared tortoise.* Eventually, our tortoise got used to it and obviously felt so safe that we added in some light to help her snack and move around better on trips.
-
-

Heat and Electronics:
We use the very basics. We only bring a Mercury Vapor Bulb if we know we'll be gone on a longer trip and there won't be much outside time.

---We use a ceramic heat emmiter plugged into the simplest reptile thermostat
..................................................................View attachment 161376
---The lamp hangs from a separately purchased lamp stand:

......................................................................................................View attachment 161377
---Make sure the lamp is securely attached to the lamp stand. Mine is attached in 3 different places:
View attachment 161378
***Also do yourself a favor and scotch tape the "On/off" switch in the "on" positition. Once, it took me an embarrassingly long while to figure out the switch had been bumped "off". :rolleyes:

---I bought a cheap outdoor wireless thermometer and set the view screen in a cup holder at the front of the car.
View attachment 161381

---We use an inexpensive car power converter (I've seen them called "inverters" too) that can convert "house" power to a plug adapter that fits in your car's lighter. THESE ARE AWESOME and easily available everywhere!
View attachment 161382
Our lamp is plugged into the reptile thermostat and the thermostat is plugged into the car power converter.
-
-
Then cover the open lid hole and lampstand so no heat can escape!

View attachment 161383

I like to tape together a double layered "aluminum blanket" (tape only on the side opposite of heat fixture)
View attachment 161384
-
-

After I've tested the set up and prepared my tortoise for a few days, it's OFF TO THE CAR!
View attachment 161387
Obviously, heat up the car nice and toasty and remember to have your travel container preheated before you carry it out as well.

View attachment 161389
Our van's automakers saw us coming and thought to put a cigarrette lighter in the trunk.
Previously, we've used a basic home extension cord and plugged it into the converter in the front of the car. It was twist-tied with the cords to the kids' dvd player.:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, let's see how the freezing cold trip went:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 161392
Burgers, cartoons, comfy dog, and didn't use the throw up kit, so all's well :D

View attachment 161391
Renewable energy at work! :D It's very windy where I live and you'll sometimes see acres full of these.
View attachment 161393
Speed reduced. CHECK!

Outside it's: -15'F. Inside parts of the car are: 77'F & 69'F.
View attachment 161394
BUT MAVIS IS A COMFY...
View attachment 161396
and she's doing just fine...
View attachment 161398

THIS IS TERRIFIC!!!!!
TREMENDOUSLY helpful!!!!
Lots of great tips!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!! :):):)

Prairie Mom

Very nice set up! Where are you traveling to?
Nothing too exciting. Two of my kiddos require specialized medical care that isn't available in every hospital. No drama:D They're doing well, but we will always have to travel a few times a year whether a pet sitter is available or not. One way is about 8hrs, but all kids and animals in my family become excellent travelers. -Including the tortoise!!! -which happily surprises me!

Prairie Mom

About the photos in my thread...
Most of the photos were taken in my state. The "Slick Road reduce speed" photo was taken minutes from my house, leaving the boundaries of the small city we live in. Believe it or not, that photo was taken a little after NOON. We waited a bit for the roads to get cleared off before heading out. We always check the weather closely and there is an AM "Road advisory" radio station that leaves you with little surprises. Feel free to send me a PM if you're looking for more details and forgive me if I take a while to get back to you:)
-
-

Here's a few other Windshield Photos:
-
-

Just after the slick road sign
after slick road tort travel.jpg

through windshield more tort travel.jpg

turbine tort travel.jpg
Photos never do these things justice. They are roughly the size of smaller skyscrapers.

turbine power tort travel.jpg
Flattest parts of the drive, but the elevation is still really high.

Icy lake
frozen lake tort travel.jpg

Here's another "in the van" shot
group car tort travel.jpg
I want you to know that the pink tub on the bottom of the photo is my car "throw up kit" :p
Happily, since I've been more diligent in administering doses of Dramamine, we haven't needed it for a very long time.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Very useful travel plan, thanks for sharing! I could really go for some Wendy's now too... I love the wind turbines; I think they're cute. I sure wish I'd see more of them around here but it's not a super windy area.

Prairie Mom

Very useful travel plan, thanks for sharing! I could really go for some Wendy's now too... I love the wind turbines; I think they're cute. I sure wish I'd see more of them around here but it's not a super windy area.
Glad you think so!

I love the wind turbines too and we're certainly in the right area for them. These are the huge mega turbines. In areas without much wind, it takes smaller turbines that spin at faster speeds. These ones are big beautiful and seriously the size of sky scrapers. They turn rather slowly, but think of the amount of wind power it takes to move them and what that is generating! When you actually see those guys moving quickly, you better be holding the wheel tightly! There is one that is only about a yard from the freeway. I can't help but stare up at it and gawk at it every time....ummmm....unless I'm the one driving :D

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Glad you think so! I love the wind turbines too and we're certainly in the right area for them. These are the huge mega turbines. In areas without much wind, it takes smaller turbines that spin at faster speeds. These ones are big beautiful and seriously the size of sky scrapers. They turn rather slowly, but think of the amount of wind power it takes to move them and what that is generating! When you actually see those guys moving quickly, you better be holding the wheel tightly! There is one that is only about a yard from the freeway. I can't help but stare up at it and gawk at it every time....ummmm....unless I'm the one driving :D
I love passing them on the way to Toronto, in the southernmost part of Ontario. There is some serious wind there and they have the gigantic turbines there! Whee!