Captive Breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
I know that WC is more common to find when looking for an adult tortoise but does anyone know where I can find a captive breed adult russian tortoise? I know it is hard to find but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can possibly find one.

The reason I am trying to find a captive breed russian tortoise is that I don't know how I feel about getting a wild caught tortoise (ethically).

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
It's hard to find an adult cb Russian, I remember when cb Russians babies were hard to find lol. Keep look tho. I'm sure there are a hand full cb young adults out there

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Reptile shows will often have CB Russians (mostly babies, but sometimes adults and juvies). I'd also check Kingsnakeclassifieds.com and faunaclassifieds.com. They'll come onto the market every once in awhile

Have you considered adopting an adult Russian? Most are WC, but no one profits financially through adoption, so you're not supporting the practice of catching torts in the wild.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Just get a WC one, and make his captivity comfortable. Save one,they're already here.
LupusCantus said:
I know that WC is more common to find when looking for an adult tortoise but does anyone know where I can find a captive breed adult russian tortoise? I know it is hard to find but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can possibly find one.

The reason I am trying to find a captive breed russian tortoise is that I don't know how I feel about getting a wild caught tortoise (ethically).

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
and will be imported again. By taking one direct from the dealer it just encourages more WC ones to come in. I can understand it for rare species but for blimming Horsfields there is no need-there are so many adults for rescue.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Very high risk of Herpes Virus in Wild Caught Russian Tortoises. Captive Bred is the way to go.
If you buy a wild caught animal, essential to test PCR for Herpes (oral swab) to check.
Very contagious from tortoise to tortoise.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
My mistake, I didn't know that there were CB horsfields for rescue.
FLINTUS said:
and will be imported again. By taking one direct from the dealer it just encourages more WC ones to come in. I can understand it for rare species but for blimming Horsfields there is no need-there are so many adults for rescue.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
Reptile shows will often have CB Russians (mostly babies, but sometimes adults and juvies). I'd also check Kingsnakeclassifieds.com and faunaclassifieds.com. They'll come onto the market every once in awhile

Have you considered adopting an adult Russian? Most are WC, but no one profits through adoption, so you're not supporting the practice of catching torts in the wild.

I'll see if I can find one from the reptile show or the websites. I have considered adopting but there isn't any rescue close enough to my house. Thanks for your replies guys :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FLINTUS said:
Come to the UK lol! CB adult Russians are just waiting for homes here!

Not the case over here. Occasionally someone will give one up when they are tired of them, but most of those are WC. Over here they are still valuable and supply is pretty close to demand.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I found Ophelia on Craigslist, and lucky for me she was less then 2 miles away! What a find!

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
Maybe I will find one somehow... :/ still trying....
Trying to stay away from hatchlings because I'm new to reptiles. Don't think I can handle a hatchling.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Maybe you can rescue or adopt an adult. Then, even if it is WC, it is a long term captive. You will be improving or saving its life, and will not be contributing to the pet store trade that encourages wild capture.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Well, to throw another monkey wrench into the mix, how do you determine if something is Captive Bred? If both parents are WC are the babies truly captive bred or just a lucky mistake for someone supporting the trade? or are you going to hold for a 2nd or 3rd generation adult?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
exoticsdr said:
Well, to throw another monkey wrench into the mix, how do you determine if something is Captive Bred? If both parents are WC are the babies truly captive bred or just a lucky mistake for someone supporting the trade? or are you going to hold for a 2nd or 3rd generation adult?

Good point Doc. All of them, or their immediate ancestors, were wild caught at one point. A case could be made that buying a captive bred baby STILL supports the WC trade, because the breeder bought the WCs just so he/she could breed them and sell you the babies. Even with a CB you are still financially rewarding the people directly responsible for removing them from the wild.

LupusCantus

5 Year Member
Okay... well then this got a little more difficult than I thought... I'll keep looking around

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Tom said:
FLINTUS said:
Come to the UK lol! CB adult Russians are just waiting for homes here!

Not the case over here. Occasionally someone will give one up when they are tired of them, but most of those are WC. Over here they are still valuable and supply is pretty close to demand.

Same case with hermanni. They(males in particular) are often not finding new homes even when being put up for free-and of course all hermanni here are CB due to laws. We have loads of them over here, maybe we should give you guys a load of CB adult hermanni and horsfields and you can give us some elongated, forstens etc. please???:D

Status
Not open for further replies.