captive box turtles in the great outdoors

Barber25

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Freeland Michigan
I grew up in New Jersey--we found them repeatedly in our back yard there. I have seen snapping turtles, and what I think was a wood turtle on my property. I think Ive got a great environment for them, and I may get a few more and see if I can re-populate Michigan. I want to only do what will help them, so I'm taking it slow.

Barber25

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Freeland Michigan
cleaning up the brushpiles....saw a fieldmouse scamper away...then I found these babies....

Attachments

• 16198937677546111295070680273948.jpg
    16198937677546111295070680273948.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 22

Barber25

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Freeland Michigan
Speaking of tasty food.....Now that she is enclosed in the former garden, and Im not bringing her a plate of food each day, should I assume that the outdoor enclosure will provide adequate food?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Awww.....babies are cool...are they now "feeders"? Ok, that was harsh...sry.

If you aren't sure of food-availability I would keep an eye as he roams and see if he's finding things to eat, certain plants....but a pile of strawberries or other "food-treasures" would make it a sure thing.

Cool pic, thanks!

Barber25

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Freeland Michigan
I would guess based on size and counting "rings" she is closer to ten years old...when I had her inside, in her box enclosure, and brief jaunts outside, she ate 90% worms, bugs, and boiled eggs--mostly a protein eater...once in a while, certain fruits. Vegetables seemed to not attract her interest. I believe there are alot of insects available to her, but I have been experimenting with fruits and other delicacies...but there are other varmints like mice out there that could be eating what I put out.