Can't tell if my Eastern box turtle is sick or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
I was given two Eastern box turtles about four months ago. They have been doing great, I have a pen outside for them with a mud wallow and they love it. Now because I live in northern New England it is too cold and I have them inside in 70 degrees. I noticed the other night one of them wasn't really as active as usual. I picked her up and her eyes were closed. I held her for quite some time and she still didn't open her eyes. I thought she might be sick. Later, however, I noticed she was active again and even fought with the other turtle for worms I put in their enclosure. Same thing happened tonight. She had one eye open and the other was closed. Is she sleeping and I'm interrupting her dreaming? I can't figure it out. I'm not seeing any other symptoms that would alarm me? Wouldn't a turtle wake up if you picked them up? Maybe she's a deep sleeper? LOL

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Most box turtles usually slow down at this time getting ready to hibernate. If you are keeping them inside, you have to mimic the summer temperature and lighting. I'm keeping some inside this winter, and they are in a planted vivarium, with temp. at around 78 degrees, and I have the lights on a timer giving them 14 hours of daylight. They still don't eat every day, and dig under a lot. Keep the humidity high and warm in their enclosure. If their eyes don't open, soak them in warm water. It's important to keep them hidrated during this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.