Can't Open Eyes - Baby! HELP!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Keep him warm at least 80 degrees and I would stop using a uvb bulb altogether and just use a heat lamp until he is better. When I have read about problems like this the fastest recovery times have been a week I believe but some take longer. You should try soaking him more than once each day 30 minutes+ if you can (maybe even adding pedialyte flavorless to soaks), this helped a lot with one of my torts. Sorry I don't have more advice I only had to deal with a sick baby tort once so far. Also try to stay calm and relaxed I know how stressful it can be. :)

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thanks AmRoKo,

It is super stressful. He didn't eat this morning, although he usually eats in the evening, so by bathing him this morning i have disrupted his routine. He is now just sleeping by the basking light. Doesn't want to open his eyes.

I'll get some pedialyte today too when I go to the drug store. I've given this to my guinea pig when he had teeth surgery. Thanks

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
I don't think anyone has mentioned the possibility of a respiratory infection. I know from past experiences that eye infections/issues can be a symptom of a respiratory infection. Has there been any other medical issues with the tortoise that has come to your concern? Nasal discharge?

M

Maggie Cummings

Please add strained carrots to his soaking water. Don't let him get cooler than 80 degrees and make sure the humidity is up in his habitat. Treat his habitat like a hospital tank. Humidity is up, temp is warm, keep it covered so he doesn't get any cool drafts while he is not feeling good. This could be a life or death situation for him so you need to keep on top of all the stuff we have suggested and do it all every day. I know it's a hassle.
Remember, because tortoises are prey animals they hide their sickness well, because that's a sign of weakness to them. So he'd been sick a long time before he showed any signs of being sick. By the same token, it's going to take a while to get him over this.
So please stay on top of what has been suggested, and I would soften some Mazuri and mix that in with his favorite greens, so he's getting as much nutrition as he can. Mazuri has good supplements added to it which makes it good for sick animals.
If you have any questions or need more help, please feel free to email me, because I don't feel well myself, I don't always check TFO. It is not a problem to me if you need help and need to get a hold of me...
Please feel free to ask anything you need to...

[email protected]

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
When I give my Russian his soaks I put 1-2 drops of reptisafe into the water and swish it around and wait a little bit before I put him in just incase since I use water from the faucet.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I have just put some drops of Refresh Endura in his eyes. There are no perservatives or medications in these eye drops. They are used by people who have dry eye syndrome. He just wants to sleep in the corner. He looks miserable.
I couldn't find the antibotic drops here but I have ordered them online. I did pick up some polysporin antibiotic eye drops but am not used them yet because I don't know if they are safe???

I also picked up a product from the pet store called Vetericyn Eye Wash for all animals. It says on the bottle is relieves burning, stinging, itching, pollutants and contaminants. Has anyone heard of it?

Oh and I do hear a clicking when he is breathing. Respiratory infection?

The only Vet that sees Tortoises' is closed on the weekends :(

He lives in a rabbit cage. Plastic bottom, wire top. Should I cover the sides with tinfoil or something to keep in the humidity???

M

Maggie Cummings

It's beginning to sound more like an URTI. How do you keep humidity in a rabbit cage? I'm thinking he's not set up very well, no insult intended, and you'll need to take him to the Vet on Monday. That's what I would do anyway. Also, you can make him a tort table where he can be kept closer to the correct way for his species...

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm back now and the Vet doesn't think its a UTI. Ormond is not making any clicking noises now and no gunk from his eyes or nose. No bubbles and he was quite fiesty at the vets. He looks at his eyes with a special scope and light and there was a lot of coco coir in them. He cleaned up his eyes with saline water and a special needle and now my little guys eyes are open.

He is on some antibiotic eye drops for 3 times a day and is housed on paper towels for now until the eyes clear up. He is currently in his bath with strained carrots looking at me.

Our house is actually quite humid due to where we live and we also have a lot of tropical plants and an aquarium. But I also spray down the coco coir with warm water daily. His substrate never is dried out. We also do not keep any windows open so there are no drafts in here.

He has spider plants in his house and lots of hiding places. Plant pots on their sides and a special little wooden shelf he hides under at night.

I've actually heard of a lot of people using a rabbit cage as housing. It is a simple plastic frame work, similar to a table top. A wire top is to hold up the lights. He is on a tuppermaid container so he isn't directly on the floor.

I hope that answers some questions??

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
p.s. the vet I saw is an exotic Vet and we drove out of town to go see him. Luckily they could squeeze us in. The Vet has owned box turtles and red eared sliders himself personally. He is the absolute best on the Island and works in the Wild Ark Rehab as well. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Glad to hear it is not serious, full speed ahead to recovery.

Kim444

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm back now and the Vet doesn't think its a UTI. Ormond is not making any clicking noises now and no gunk from his eyes or nose. No bubbles and he was quite fiesty at the vets. He looks at his eyes with a special scope and light and there was a lot of coco coir in them. He cleaned up his eyes with saline water and a special needle and now my little guys eyes are open.

He is on some antibiotic eye drops for 3 times a day and is housed on paper towels for now until the eyes clear up. He is currently in his bath with strained carrots looking at me.

Our house is actually quite humid due to where we live and we also have a lot of tropical plants and an aquarium. But I also spray down the coco coir with warm water daily. His substrate never is dried out. We also do not keep any windows open so there are no drafts in here.

He has spider plants in his house and lots of hiding places. Plant pots on their sides and a special little wooden shelf he hides under at night.

I've actually heard of a lot of people using a rabbit cage as housing. It is a simple plastic frame work, similar to a table top. A wire top is to hold up the lights. He is on a tuppermaid container so he isn't directly on the floor.

I hope that answers some questions??
Great news that it's nothing serious

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I was thinking about switching him over to aspen bedding? what do u think?

Flipper

MO, USA
I'm glad it's nothing serious! :hug

I've had no experience with aspen bedding.

Good luck! :D

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Can't help but still be worried. I woke him up awhile ago and gave him his morning eye drops. He is now slowly waking up under his basking lamp. I have a bath with strained carrots in it, just waiting for it to cool down a bit before he goes in it. Then when the stores open I'm heading out to look for Orchid Bark and sphagnum moss. I'm just really hoping and praying he gets better fast. It is so scary.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Another question: What about Fine Fir Bark? I called the garden shop and they put perlite into their Orchid bark :( But it looks like they have Fine Fir bark which doesn't.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what orchid bark is - fir bark. So that would be ok if it doesn't have additives like fertilizers or pesticides.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
I got some orchid bark and spagnum moss, plus some other moss. But my tortoise isnt moving or anything and he won't open his eyes. I feel reallly upset and I'm worried he isn't going to make it. I set up his new substrate and he doesn't even care. Usually he checks things out right away. I feel sick.