Can't keep humidity up and tort is starting to pyramid.

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Ever since I got this new heat bulb (shown below) it has been a HUGE struggle to keep the humidity up in his enclosure. I have just noticed that he is starting to pyramid too. I have tried pouring water on his substrate, spraying water on his substrate, and soaking weekly. Nothing is boosting it up. I doubt that it has to do with the new heat bulb though, because it has been the same temperature has it was with the old bulb. I don't know why it is all the sudden dropping. Could It have something to do with recently switching substrate from finely ground coco husk, to more course coco husk?
His Temps vary from 92°F to 78°F in hot and cooler spots. Now that I think about it, is this too low?

We are trying to see if we can build a frame for a plastic sheet (like a grow tent). But the tricky part for us is building the frame.

Any criticism or advice is welcome.
20201217_103939.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I bought these same CHE's. Not only could I not maintain any sort of humidity, the darn things were weak and didn't generate enuf heat and 4 box turtles got very sick. You didn't say what species of tortoise you have, but whatever kind, you won't have decent humidity with an open enclosure. Must make a closed chamber especially if you have a growing tort.

Herman_WA

Washington
I bought these same CHE's. Not only could I not maintain any sort of humidity, the darn things were weak and didn't generate enuf heat and 4 box turtles got very sick. You didn't say what species of tortoise you have, but whatever kind, you won't have decent humidity with an open enclosure. Must make a closed chamber especially if you have a growing tort.
I have an (adult?) Hermanns tortoise. Don't know age but looks full grown. Me and my dad are trying to find away to build a frame for one at the moment.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I have an (adult?) Hermanns tortoise. Don't know age but looks full grown. Me and my dad are trying to find away to build a frame for one at the moment.
PVC pipe works real well. easy to modify if your design doesn't come out exactly the way you thought it would

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here's a pic if it helps. You can modify it for pvc pipe.

IMG_1511635956.495114.jpg

Here's a "store bought" one. You can copy the design with your pvc, and make it any size you want. Just be sure it's sturdy enough to support your lights across the top.

20200524_162330.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ever since I got this new heat bulb (shown below) it has been a HUGE struggle to keep the humidity up in his enclosure. I have just noticed that he is starting to pyramid too. I have tried pouring water on his substrate, spraying water on his substrate, and soaking weekly. Nothing is boosting it up. I doubt that it has to do with the new heat bulb though, because it has been the same temperature has it was with the old bulb. I don't know why it is all the sudden dropping. Could It have something to do with recently switching substrate from finely ground coco husk, to more course coco husk?
His Temps vary from 92°F to 78°F in hot and cooler spots. Now that I think about it, is this too low?

We are trying to see if we can build a frame for a plastic sheet (like a grow tent). But the tricky part for us is building the frame.

Any criticism or advice is welcome.
View attachment 313244
All electrically generated heat dries things out. Its also winter, and our house heaters run more, which also dries everything out.

The solution is a closed chamber. These hold in heat and humidity and make it easy to maintain whatever conditions you want.

Herman_WA

Washington
Here's a pic if it helps. You can modify it for pvc pipe.

View attachment 313259

Here's a "store bought" one. You can copy the design with your pvc, and make it any size you want. Just be sure it's sturdy enough to support your lights across the top.

View attachment 313260
Thanks so much! This is very helpful! I told my dad about all this and he's already got the plastic sheet, all we need is the PVC pipes!