Can't ID these plants

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
I have never seen #4 produce any berry looking things or a flower. It just stays like it is and gets bigger and spreads out further. But I will research it and see what I can figure out. As for 3, I was hoping it would be kidney weed, oh well.

Thanks for your response.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I am in process of finding every single eatable thing thing for my sullys (and future leopards) that's in my yard. I have found the majority that I questioned but a few, I couldn't nail down. I think I might have found some but not 100% so I wanted to double check. Can anyone help me ID these and tell me if their eatable (for sullys and leopard)
Number 1:View attachment 91264
Number 2: this one is growing in a tree, and it has little tiny berry type clusters. View attachment 91265
Number 3:
View attachment 91269
Number 4:
View attachment 91270
Number 5: I'm thinking this one might b a type of dand
View attachment 91271
Any ID will be greatly appreciated.

OK, First, please number your photos sequentially. When you post more photos, continue with higher numbers.
In your original post - I agree #1 is "purslane" - Portulaca oleracea - edible, but very high in oxalates, so feed only in small quantities.
I agree 2 is a grape Vitis sp. - safe to feed.
3 is very likely some member of the family that includes mints and sages, Lamiaceae; looks like a "dead nettle" in a way. Probably safe to offer, but usually not accepted.
4 looks like an Ipomea; not sure if it is actually sweet potato (which would be OK), so I would not allow it.
5 would appear to be one of the milky-sapped wild lettuces; probably OK.
In your 8th post are the more photos: the 6th is a kind of spurge Euphorbia - avoid these.
7th is likely another Lamiaceae; probably OK.
I do not recognize the 8th one.
In your 10th post, the 9th image is another plant I cant ID.
In your 11th post, the 10th image seems like a Composit - perhaps a daisy of some sort; I would not use it.
The next image, which is the 11th, would appear to be a Ranunculus - avoid "buttercups" like this.
Not sure what the 12 one is.
The 13th is some sort of "cress" or similar Crucifer; edible, but also high in oxalates.
I don't recognize the 14th image.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
OK, First, please number your photos sequentially. When you post more photos, continue with higher numbers.
In your original post - I agree #1 is "purslane" - Portulaca oleracea - edible, but very high in oxalates, so feed only in small quantities.
I agree 2 is a grape Vitis sp. - safe to feed.
3 is very likely some member of the family that includes mints and sages, Lamiaceae; looks like a "dead nettle" in a way. Probably safe to offer, but usually not accepted.
4 looks like an Ipomea; not sure if it is actually sweet potato (which would be OK), so I would not allow it.
5 would appear to be one of the milky-sapped wild lettuces; probably OK.
In your 8th post are the more photos: the 6th is a kind of spurge Euphorbia - avoid these.
7th is likely another Lamiaceae; probably OK.
I do not recognize the 8th one.
In your 10th post, the 9th image is another plant I cant ID.
In your 11th post, the 10th image seems like a Composit - perhaps a daisy of some sort; I would not use it.
The next image, which is the 11th, would appear to be a Ranunculus - avoid "buttercups" like this.
Not sure what the 12 one is.
The 13th is some sort of "cress" or similar Crucifer; edible, but also high in oxalates.
I don't recognize the 14th image.
Ya I didn't think about the thread as a whole, I should have numbered it different, I numbered it per post, sorry for any confusion.
Thanks for the ID's tho. I am attempting to find stuff I can plant in my enclosures but since all these seem to be a "feed in moderation" I will keep looking. Thanks again!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the second set of pictures the first one is not goat head, but spotted spurge. Supposed to be not edible, but it is a staple in a wild desert tortoise's diet.

The second one - the leaves look like hollyhock, but not the stem. Maybe brand new holly hock?? If so, edible.

The third one may be horseweed but I'm not sure. Tortoises won't eat it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The last set of pictures #5 is horseweed again. They don't eat it.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
So while I was out collecting driftwood and rocks for my new enclosures yesterday I came across some plants/weeds that aren't available to me usually. Of course I took the opportunity to dig them up so if they are edible I can plant them for my guys. Again, I have no clue what they are, can anyone ID these?
Number 15
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418571034.779301.jpg
Number 16
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418571108.245068.jpg
Number17
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418571146.796623.jpg
Number18
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418571185.478392.jpg
Number19
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418571276.961858.jpg
Number20
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418571319.994728.jpg
Number 21, I think is winter cress, is it safe to fed?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418571374.095868.jpg

Thanks in advance and I did number to lessen the confusion this time.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Number 22: can anyone tell me what this is? And if it's edible.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425924773.488522.jpg
These are the leafs from it
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425924832.351676.jpg
Thanks