Can't believe the strength

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Anybody that knows me, knows that I rehabilitate any injured turtle I come across. Today a buddy calls and says he found a turtle in the road, and it looks like it was hit. I loaded up and went out to meet him....when I saw this turtle I couldn't believe it. It reminded me how much these little guys can endure. . He was definitely hit bye a car with a major shell fracture, but with my experience of healing shell wounds this had to of happened no LESS than a year ago. .. he is completely mobile, has a healthy weight. There is a hole in his shell that you can see healed tissue. ..

1431381555709.jpg 1431381570261.jpg 1431381583749.jpg 1431381598404.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Poor guy ! He's got some big cracks !

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Turtles are amazingly strong, and resilient. They are definitely not shrinking violets when it comes to endurance or strength. I feel for the turtle to have endured, and kudos to you for taking him (or her) in.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Oh wow....that's sad...but that's great that you do what you do!!! Great job!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Wow! I'm absolutely amazed. Just think, the little one got hit, was still alive and eventually decided to keep moving, even out from the location of the accident! Crazy.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
It's amazing. . I am surprised ants didn't get to him above every thing else. He is actually very outgoing. He has already ate and does not shy away when I check on him. I can't wait for the vet to look at him.. my wife refers to him as soldier. I have to agree

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I'm going to see what my vet thinks. Honestly if he has lived through this and is still eating and looking for females I don't see why he can't be released. He will go in next Wednesday, I will observe him everyday then make a decision then.. I just hate having to take them out of the wild unless it is completely necessary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! I LOVE that first picture!!!

Yes, it's amazing what turtles can live through. I took in a pond turtle with a healed half dollar-sized hole on top of her carapace. When it happened it had to have been opened to the inside of the turtle. Yet this wild turtle healed and lived with no human intervention. Amazing creatures! I love this little box turtle.

Lyles

Very amazing indeed. It would be good if any foreign matter be cleaned out of the hole and patch up the cracks with fiberglass. May not be pretty but you could paint the patch with camo. lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, we don't recommend closing them up with fiberglass anymore. This seals in any germs and might cause infection to happen. It's best to leave them open.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Yea, I would imagine that if it were sealed off it would create kind of a green house effect for bacteria. He has had some good soaks with vitamin and carrot, and has ate a full meal of chicken blue berries and romaine. He is so outgoing and has such a personality

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Amazing, now I'm going to check on the ones in the road just in case.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I do. I have saved some that were in shock and looked dead. You would be surprised what a little patience and some good soaks can do for turtle in stress

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Well took him to the vet. Has w good wait no infection, however with the shell compromised the way it is, he will be housed with me. Extending the box turtle pen 8feet out this weekend. .

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Not to hijack your thread but last year I also rescued a ~6" sulcata who had also been run over. She wanted as though nothing happened to her.

Here's some pics.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432146582.348529.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432146608.998989.jpg

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I'm glad you are going to keep that little guy. I hope you call him soldier. He certainly is special.