Canadian Reptile Expo Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Nice video, I already went to the montreal show and same here there were not a lot of tortoises :(

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
That was cool thanks for sharing, I felt bad for the little possum I'm sure he was just delighted to be in an expo full of snakes.. LOL...

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
@Isa- I've been going to the shows for almost 10 years here in Toronto and always hope for more torts. There's usually a couple (red foots, sulcatas) and recently there have been a few Greeks and yellow foots, and occasionally Russians. Hopefully we'll have more in the future. :)

@Shelli-Haha I agree.
I'm pretty disappointed, I remember looking at that booth but never noticed the possums :( i'll have to look for them next time.

O

optimus

very nice video to share! never go in the show but i like this video very much thanks for posting it!!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
JohnathanO said:
@Isa- I've been going to the shows for almost 10 years here in Toronto and always hope for more torts. There's usually a couple (red foots, sulcatas) and recently there have been a few Greeks and yellow foots, and occasionally Russians. Hopefully we'll have more in the future. :)

@Shelli-Haha I agree.
I'm pretty disappointed, I remember looking at that booth but never noticed the possums :( i'll have to look for them next time.

I don't get why Canada has so few torts...the amount we have is almost miniscule compared to USA. :(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think it is because we have a law that says that all reptiles must be bred in Canada. I do not even know why myself, most people do not even know what the word "tortoise" mean!

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Isa said:
I think it is because we have a law that says that all reptiles must be bred in Canada. I do not even know why myself, most people do not even know what the word "tortoise" mean!

Even if they heard of the word "tortoise", they still don't really know what's the difference from "turtle"...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
cueboy007 said:
Isa said:

Even if they heard of the word "tortoise", they still don't really know what's the difference from "turtle"...
lol so true!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
It just doesn't make sense. Between Canada and USA, there is no fence, wall, or anything, just an invisible line. And since I'm on the Canadian side of the invisible line, I have access to very few species of tortoises. While someone living on the other side of the line can buy and keep just about anything they want. :(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think Climate is a reason but what I do not understand is there are a lot of snake keepers. In a lot of provinces, winters are very cold, so it makes it impossible to keep a tortoise outside all year long.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Isa said:
I think Climate is a reason but what I do not understand is there are a lot of snake keepers. In a lot of provinces, winters are very cold, so it makes it impossible to keep a tortoise outside all year long.

Isa your note on the snake keepers DOES make sense. In all the expos I went to, snakes were by far the most numerous, and chelonians were added as if they were an afterthought.
As for the climate, does it effect breeding? Like would an indoor keeper in Canada have a lesser chance of hatchlings than a breeder in South California who can keep his/her torts outdoors year round?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
tortoises101 said:
Isa your note on the snake keepers DOES make sense. In all the expos I went to, snakes were by far the most numerous, and chelonians were added as if they were an afterthought.
As for the climate, does it effect breeding? Like would an indoor keeper in Canada have a lesser chance of hatchlings than a breeder in South California who can keep his/her torts outdoors year round?

That is a good question!

Status
Not open for further replies.