Can you train a tort to sit, lay, etc... ?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
So I come home from work today and, as usual, my dog "Archer" is ecstatic to see me. He leads me over to the kitchen cabinet where his treats are stored and sits down. I get the hint, offer him a treat, and he scampers off into the living room and wants nothing more to do with me.

By the same token, I go down to check on Ghost (my sulcata for those who don't know) and he literally runs over to me and awaits idly by his food dish. I offer him some Mazuri pellets, and he's wanted nothing further to do with me since.

Now I ask you: given the similarities of behavior between the two, can I train Ghost to sit, lay, and jump through hoops like my dog? Sheeesh. <end rant>

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
So I come home from work today and, as usual, my dog "Archer" is ecstatic to see me. He leads me over to the kitchen cabinet where his treats are stored and sits down. I get the hint, offer him a treat, and he scampers off into the living room and wants nothing more to do with me.

By the same token, I go down to check on Ghost (my sulcata for those who don't know) and he literally runs over to me and awaits idly by his food dish. I offer him some Mazuri pellets, and he's wanted nothing further to do with me since.

Now I ask you: given the similarities of behavior between the two, can I train Ghost to sit, lay, and jump through hoops like my dog? Sheeesh. <end rant>
Let me know how that works :)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
N

no one

If you start your Designer Torts Shop (can't spell the chique France name), you can also give your training service up. People would love a Designer Tort that can do trics, I think you can really have something going here. Lol

wccmog10

Georgia
Training is 100% possible in reptiles using positive reinforcement. Here is a paper written by an old coworker of mine (https://www.researchgate.net/public..._tortoises_Geochelone_gigantea_at_Zoo_Atlanta)

There are tons more papers out there with all sorts of reptile training- a google scholar search will give you lots of results.

I don’t know that you would be able to get as many behaviors as you can in most mammals. But they certainly can learn some basics. It’s most helpful when you have an animal that you don’t want to share space with- such as crocodilians or Komodo dragons- or when the animal is so big they are hard to carry- such as Aldabra and Galapagos tortoises. The training I’ve seen and been a part of is mostly target training- the animal touches its nose to the end of a pole and it gets a treat. This means you can lead the animal wherever you want. I’ve even seen it done with snakes. As a reptile guy- I was expecting tortoises, lizards (especially monitor lizards), and crocodilians to be trainable- they seem to have more “intelligence” than other groups- but the snake training surprised me. But I saw first hand false water cobras that were clearly target trained- they followed that target everywhere, it was really cool.