Can you name this?

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
That's absolutely adorable, is what it is!!! Are they from the area, or is someone heartsick, looking for him? He looks really well-cared for!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's absolutely adorable, is what it is!!! Are they from the area, or is someone heartsick, looking for him? He looks really well-cared for!
They're native to Florida, and highly protected. So he's a wild tort.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Hello all.
I’m a Sulcata owner and today I was diggin in the garden an this little fella came out from under my shed. Not having any luck finding out what breed it is. I live in central Florida. View attachment 291144
He looks just like a sulcata to my inexperienced eyes. What’s the key visual to make that ID?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
He looks just like a sulcata to my inexperienced eyes. What’s the key visual to make that ID?
See the scute in between the two scutes above its head? Its's called the nuchal scute, and sulcatas lack it. This specific tortoise is very bright yellow, I can see how it looks very similar to a baby sulcata, however, the nuchal scute makes us sure its a gopher.

L

LasTortugasNinja

You can also contact local fish & game, let them know he's in your neighborhood, and they can take him to a protected area where kids won't take him for a pet or a dog is less likely to make a snack of him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd like to name it George. Or Humphry. Either one would be fine really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In addition to the nuchal scute, the leg scales and the pattern on the carapace are screaming "GOPHERUS"!

That is not me yelling in all caps. Its the leg scales, pattern and nuchal scute. :)

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
See the scute in between the two scutes above its head? Its's called the nuchal scute, and sulcatas lack it. This specific tortoise is very bright yellow, I can see how it looks very similar to a baby sulcata, however, the nuchal scute makes us sure its a gopher.
Thank you for that lesson. I understand now. Pretty subtle difference but easily identifiable now that I know that little gem of knowledge. Thanks!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
In addition to the nuchal scute, the leg scales and the pattern on the carapace are screaming "GOPHERUS"!

That is not me yelling in all caps. Its the leg scales, pattern and nuchal scute. :)
And I betcha you would like to have it same as me...damn. Yvonne and I have always said...we've been in the tortoise business for years ('specially her) and not ever, never not once have either one of us 'found' a tortoise...