Can you Identify this Tortiose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
you know, I'm reading replies that say this fellow is a sulcata. I'm hard pressed to agree. Size could be factored by the 'when ever she felt like' it previous owner, and diet could account for differences, it just doesn't look like a sulata to me. The picture below is my sulcata at about 5 years old...

Attachments

• RV2.jpg
    RV2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 33

TurtleQueen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
pouncethecat2002 said:
I got this tortiose last summer from a lady who had kept him or her in a small tupperware like container,they only fed him once every other week or when they rembered too.Never got any light either,she told me she got him at a pet shope 4 years ago and the lady there told her it was a desert tortiose.Ive post pics on fauna classifieds some say its a sulcata,some say desert tortiose,one person told me that it could be a mixed breed of tortiose.I would really like to know,last winter i kept him awake during the winter monthes because i wasnt sure what he was,because as you know sulcatas dont hybernate,desert torts do.Any one got any new ideas?.

you have a desert tortoise on your hands the you can tell by the color of your tort here is a good website http://www.nps.gov/archive/moja/planning/tort.htm http://www.tortoisegroup.org/ I hope this helps

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Pouncethecat, your tortoise is not a sully...notice these photos below:
brighteyesBFM.jpg

Gsulcatajuvie2.jpg

the picture above is the sulcata, notice the big scales, and their much bigger than a DT.

same for the babies
GsulcataJG1.jpg

again long big spike-like scales.

and last of all..adult big sully with big scales
Hoss3.jpg

now DT's are different.
deserttort.jpg

gopherusagassizi.jpg

notice the lack of long and big chunky scales?
and lack of large shell.

There is a huge difference in them.
GagassiziiJG1.jpg

and again same with baby DT's.

Pouncethecat has a DESERT TORTOISE im positive.

Vegas Chad

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
LoL... Oh boy... I am back and forth on this as well... That shell is such poor shape makes it hard to say. DT or sul right off the bat with 120% sure of the answer... What part of NV are you in? If you are near me I can look at it in person and tell you. Also, because you are in NV and the shape of the tort try to get it outside as much as possible! In LV you can have it out all year long just as long as you give it a warm place to hide when it gets cold. And if it is a DT you can dig it a burrow and let it to it's own thing all the time.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
The shell is in ok-ish shape, but it clearly shows its a DESERT TORTOISE.
the reason i can tell is the legs, colorations and size.
The facial features are DT, the legs DT everything DT.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Can we get a straight on shot of the rear end? That would pretty much seal it as to which species it is. I am leaning more towards DT for sure.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Yes, a shot of the rear end (tail and back legs) will deffo tell us the species.

Status
Not open for further replies.