Can y'all check and see if my tortoise(s) look healthy?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston Texas
Hi everyone! I recently got two Russian tortoises from petsmart over the weekend. They're my first tortoises and I just wanted to check and see if they look healthy:) and if y'all can tell around what age they are?:)
First is Big mama:)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378308490.552461.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1378308514.553009.jpg unfortunately I ony have a few since My little sister got her on Sunday:)
Now is my boy, Sean lee
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378308594.602380.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378308613.420105.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378308633.635925.jpg

Sean Lee, my Russian Tortoise[TURTLE][TWO HEARTS]

Last edited by a moderator:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Congrats on your new tortoise(s)! They both look great. :)

First, have you checked out www.russiantortoise.net? That is a wonderful website with lots of really good information. There is a list of edible plants on there that will help you (I would stay away from tomatoes and fruit and cucumber, since those are actually not healthy for RTs... 'dark leafy greens' is what they should be fed).

Most tortoises sold at the pet store are around 5-10 years old. They have to be at least 4 inches to be allowed to be sold at a petstore, and it takes about 5 years to get that size. However, the tortoises they sell at Petsmart and Petco are wild-caught (even though they sometimes claim they are not), and so they may be older. Depending on when food was available and how long they hibernated, their growth rate in the wild is often much slower. Regardless, with proper care, a Russian tortoise will live for a long time, so not knowing the exact age isn't really a problem. :) You can just celebrate 'gotcha day' instead of their birthday.

Are both tortoises being kept in an enclosure together? If so, I would recommend keeping an eye on them, because Russian torts are very territorial, and will fight if they feel the need to protect their space.

Again, congrats on your new pets, and I hope you enjoy caring for them for many years to come. Russian tortoises are so fun, and can be really rewarding!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
look older.. the one looks puffy? maybe its just the picture and being held.
Post pics of their tails and we can tell if male or female.
Be prepared for them to not get along and house them separate.
Have you given them a good warm soaking?
Females are bigger,, and Id say at least one is female.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on all the above. Except the sexing by toe nails, I have never heard that before, so cant ditto it:D. Except with Red Eared Slider turtles. Anyway, enjoy:D

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
Hi guys, they are kept together, they haven't been aggressive at all:) the only problem is that my male won't allow big mama to eat so I have to feed her separately.:) other than that, I haven't had any issues and my male is actually very sweet. :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Can y'all check and see if my tortoise(s) look healthy?:)

Dannikabd said:
Hi guys, they are kept together, they haven't been aggressive at all:) the only problem is that my male won't allow big mama to eat so I have to feed her separately.:) other than that, I haven't had any issues and my male is actually very sweet. :)

Just wait until they settle in.... And be ready.

Sent from my TFOapp

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I had one of my tortoises (Abbs) for 1 year and I just got another one (Grace) yesterday.

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
Team Gomberg said:
Dannikabd said:

Just wait until they settle in.... And be ready.

Sent from my TFOapp

Uh oh.. I don't want them to be aggressive... So I just need to separate them whenever they do get aggressive? What do other owners do whenever they have multiple tortoises?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
They usually have them in seperate enclosures.

JJ_BOY said:
I had one of my tortoises (Abbs) for 1 year and I just got another one (Grace) yesterday.

Are you putting them together???

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I explained a little more detail on how I manage a Russian group in your other post on aggression.

It will go one of 2 ways. Maybe next week, maybe next year but eventually...

1- one tort becomes dominant and tries to fight the other out of the territory. Could cause injuries, beat up to death or the submissive one suffers slowly because it wants to leave but can't and is forced to endure the constant stress.

2- your male wants to make babies and rapes the poor girl possibly to death. She can't escape, can't get a break and is tortured.

Why not let them have their own homes but they can share a common ground for occasional breeding? Or build a very large, large pen outside (20feet x40feet) and then the 2 might do ok. Might! Or might not. At least with this set up the submissive one can retreat or the girl can escape male advances as needed. Then your pair might do ok :)

Sent from my TFOapp

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Very well said Heather!! I dont know why anyone would keep them together after knowing all of that. Great info!!!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
There are 2 threads about this.
A mod will probably put them together for
you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.