Can u help me with some filter questions?

Freddy90

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Since water filters are currently hot discussed here I thought it's a great time to get some answers.

I have a 125 gallon tub. One spotted turtle and a lot of plants. How can I best filter my tub?

I tried to use an fluval fx4. But since my tub is on the ground the filter doesn't work.

I read the discussion of ug filters. Now my question: would it be possible to use a ug filter in my small tub? I imagine I had to take the substrate out? And change it to river rock?

I would love to use a filter that is inside the tub. If someone could help me or guide me to some useful info that would be great!

:)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
is there a drain in the bottom of your tub ?

an ug filter does not need gravel , just needs a media to support the bacteria , the larger the surface area the more bacteria it will hold ....... i have a long term ug filter that uses a matala filter mat instead of gravel , with a laguna 2400 pump beneath it pumps into a homemade canister filter through an uv sterilizer and back into the pond (pictured below)...... when it clogs it restricts the flow , i use a pond vaccuum to clear the mat , it does a great job and restores the flow immediately ........ plants will root in matala filter mat , which can be a good thing , or a bad thing .......

your fluval would i'm sure be better than my home depot bucket ....

DSCF7779.jpg

Freddy90

Austria
is there a drain in the bottom of your tub ?

an ug filter does not need gravel , just needs a media to support the bacteria , the larger the surface area the more bacteria it will hold ....... i have a long term ug filter that uses a matala filter mat instead of gravel , with a laguna 2400 pump beneath it pumps into a homemade canister filter through an uv sterilizer and back into the pond (pictured below)...... when it clogs it restricts the flow , i use a pond vaccuum to clear the mat , it does a great job and restores the flow immediately ........ plants will root in matala filter mat , which can be a good thing , or a bad thing .......

your fluval would i'm sure be better than my home depot bucket ....

DSCF7779.jpg
Thank u for the fast answers :)
My tub has no drain in the bottom but I could drill one if needed. I'm currently watching a lot of videos of ug filters. And I think a diy build would be ideal.

But it's a lot to understand...

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
a drain under the undergravel would be a huge aid, you could drain the water from below the filter bed ...... with mine i have to drain it below the gravel , i have a spot that opens in my ug mesh to access the pumps if neccesary , i need to drain it below the gravel level to access below the ug mesh , or remove some of the sludge , it's tough on the fish ...... my ponds are in the ground , a drain below the ug mesh would be awesome , imo ......

Freddy90

Austria
a drain under the undergravel would be a huge aid, you could drain the water from below the filter bed ...... with mine i have to drain it below the gravel , i have a spot that opens in my ug mesh to access the pumps if neccesary , i need to drain it below the gravel level to access below the ug mesh , or remove some of the sludge , it's tough on the fish ...... my ponds are in the ground , a drain below the ug mesh would be awesome , imo ......

I think this winter when my turtle is in the fridge I will try it. I have found some good videos :)