Can tortoises survive upright?

jordynayers

Location (City and/or State)
New Braunfels
I was wondering if a desert tortoise could survive for long periods of time (or any period of time) directly upright. Upright in the sense that his bum is facing downwards and his head and arms are facing upwards. I'm fully aware that they cannot survive completely upside down but upright is a different situation since their lungs are on the top of their shell and no pressure would be applied there. I looked at tortoise anatomy and the only thing i could see is that his Cloaca/Kidney are the things that pressure would be applied to.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was wondering if a desert tortoise could survive for long periods of time (or any period of time) directly upright. Upright in the sense that his bum is facing downwards and his head and arms are facing upwards. I'm fully aware that they cannot survive completely upside down but upright is a different situation since their lungs are on the top of their shell and no pressure would be applied there. I looked at tortoise anatomy and the only thing i could see is that his Cloaca/Kidney are the things that pressure would be applied to.

For what period of time?

jordynayers

New Braunfels
Why? Why is this tortoise having to do this?
Basically, i hand-sewed him a carrying case since hes light enough and its kind of like a satchel so his head would be upright and his bum would be at the bottom of the satchel. I wanted to make sure he would be safe and if it goes successfully i may make him some more carrying-wear for a business i may/may not be starting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They might survive it, but its awkward, uncomfortable, and being removed from their familiar enclosure is stressful for them. Also, they tend to pee and poo when moved and when stressed. The little pocket will be a disgusting smelly mess. Even if you waterproof it to prevent leakage all over the place, the tortoise will be stewing in its own waste and covered with it during transit and upon arrival.

Sorry, but this is not a good idea.

jordynayers

New Braunfels
They might survive it, but its awkward, uncomfortable, and being removed from their familiar enclosure is stressful for them. Also, they tend to pee and poo when moved and when stressed. The little pocket will be a disgusting smelly mess. Even if you waterproof it to prevent leakage all over the place, the tortoise will be stewing in its own waste and covered with it during transit and upon arrival.

Actually he's somehow potty-trained and only pee/poo when we get home and absolutely loves to travel so i take him everywhere with me if i can so he can see new sights and he's so happy about it.

xMario

Germany
Actually he's somehow potty-trained and only pee/poo when we get home and absolutely loves to travel so i take him everywhere with me if i can so he can see new sights and he's so happy about it.

Im curious how can u tell he loves it or is happy about it? Does he wiggle with his tail or something?

jordynayers

New Braunfels
Im curious how can u tell he loves it or is happy about it? Does he wiggle with his tail or something?
Whenever he's happy he comes out of his shell and walks around and then sits on his favorite thing in the area. When it comes to traveling in the bag i know he's happy because he has his little arms and head peering out the top when he's awake and just sits there and enjoys his journey! :) He also only allows his tail to move out of his shell from the side when he's comfortable with an area and trusts the people in it.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Basically, i hand-sewed him a carrying case since hes light enough and its kind of like a satchel so his head would be upright and his bum would be at the bottom of the satchel. I wanted to make sure he would be safe and if it goes successfully i may make him some more carrying-wear for a business i may/may not be starting.
Since this would be a very bad idea for MOST tortoises I wouldn't consider it for a business. You might end up being responsible for problems associated with this practice. Tortoises should not be carried around routinely. They need the security of their home. They require proper temperature and humidity which would not be possible if they are taken out of their enclosures and placed in a caring bag.

Bush

Canton tx
We have two homes and travel back and forth in our plane. We have a small dog carrier we put our two sulcatas in with a warm towel for the hour flight. They have their heads and legs out checking things out the whole time. They are 16 months old and we have been doing this the last year. No problems.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

That is EXACTLY the image I got after reading the post.
Use a box lined with newspaper, etc. Something you can throw away or bleach clean and that allows the tortoise to lay flat.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We have two homes and travel back and forth in our plane. We have a small dog carrier we put our two sulcatas in with a warm towel for the hour flight. They have their heads and legs out checking things out the whole time. They are 16 months old and we have been doing this the last year. No problems.

How la4ge are these guys? I need a truck to move our Sully about! And a heavy duty lift upstairs!

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Not a good idea at all.

Humans tend to want to impose human feelings onto animals, I am not sure why we do this but it can be detrimental to the animals health all for the sake of pleasing us. It's called anthropomorphizing, please re-consider your idea. Torts really just need us as their keepers to try and mimic their natural environment to keep them healthy, your idea will be very stressful for your tort whether you want to realize it or not. Sounds like you are putting your own needs over what is best for your tort without realizing it. Please don't take any of this feedback as being mean/bullying just trying to help you avoid some problems. Besides this is coming from a lady who sings to her cat children so loudly that the neighbors complain. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Like most have said, this is a bad idea. Carry him in a proper carrier that he can lay flat in like hes suppose to.
He is not happy nor does he enjoy any of that. He is a tortoise not a dog or cat or a child.
Give him a proper home and leave him be and find a dog or cat to use as your "designer pet" that you have a need to have travel with you like all the stars that have to drag their poor dogs all over.
Btw no animal wants to go every place with its owners. Some places just are not safe to drag an animal or child.

Relic

Here
Is there any realistic way to differentiate between a happy tortoise face and a fearful tortoise face? They have no facial smile/frown ability, and I, for the life of me, can see no way to judge happiness from sadness, based on the appearance of the face and/or movement of the legs. Of course, it took me darn near 40 years to figure out some of my wife's moods...

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Hmm? Her description of happy seems to jibe with my observations especially in one area: the tail. None of my male Redfoots nor Hingebacks ever let their tail out unless they are taking a dump, mating or really relaxed/happy. As for the girls it's hard to tell as they're so stubby. Is this not generally true?