Can Tortoises Sense Weather Outside?

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
This last week has been quite wet and dreary here and Ive noticed my tortoise the last couple of days only coming out of his hide in the morning for a couple of hours before retreating and staying in his hide until the next day.
I’ve been sure to bathe him earlier than I would the last few days to make sure to catch him before he went back into hiding. But I would say he gets up around 7am and is already back to bed by or before noon. Is this normal?
I’ve also noticed our other animals around the house have had similar behaviour. Our cats that like to spend their days outside are now curled up in their beds all day long and our new puppy who is hyperactive has been napping the last two days away.

When it becomes sunny again will he be back outside his hide all day? His enclosure is near a big bay window so I’m wondering if this makes it even easier for him to sense the changes and be aware of the conditions outside to make him hide.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes, they do know what's going on outside, at least as far as when the seasons are changing.

And desert tortoises know when it's going to rain, because wild ones will come out of their burrow and dig a depression in the ground to catch the water.

I think, but don't know, I think they go by the barometric pressure, just like our joints can feel achy when it rains.

I think they know lots more than we give credit for! ?‍♀️

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Yes, they do know what's going on outside, at least as far as when the seasons are changing.

And desert tortoises know when it's going to rain, because wild ones will come out of their burrow and dig a depression in the ground to catch the water.

I think, but don't know, I think they go by the barometric pressure, just like our joints can feel achy when it rains.

I think they know lots more than we give credit for! ?‍♀️

Then I’m hoping for the sun to come back out because I miss his sweet little face!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My little Russian can tell when spring is coming even before me. He starts begging to go outside. I think he can feel the underground warming up even though he's on a tortoise table. Also, I've come to know what days he'll be up early by the way the air and sunshine feels to me. Any other day he lays around until 9 or 10ish? if their existence depends on the weather then they're probably smarter than us.?

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
My little Russian can tell when spring is coming even before me. He starts begging to go outside. I think he can feel the underground warming up even though he's on a tortoise table. Also, I've come to know what days he'll be up early by the way the air and sunshine feels to me. Any other day he lays around until 9 or 10ish? if their existence depends on the weather then they're probably smarter than us.?

9 or 10?!? What a party animal. My Marginated is always in bed before 5pm and it drives me crazy. When I was working (laid off due to lockdown in Canada) he would always be in bed when I got home from work at 4:45. According to my family I was always just minutes from catching him awake. Such a little bugger.
I must say Ive been enjoying this lockdown to get to see him much more

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
9 or 10?!? What a party animal. My Marginated is always in bed before 5pm and it drives me crazy. When I was working (laid off due to lockdown in Canada) he would always be in bed when I got home from work at 4:45. According to my family I was always just minutes from catching him awake. Such a little bugger.
I must say Ive been enjoying this lockdown to get to see him much more
Sometimes Sapphire even sleeps till noon. Usually he comes out to visit me when I take his food into his room around 9 or 10. Maybe I'm the party animal ? but some days I just can feel he's going to be out and about earlier. That's the days I at the least get his salad in there. I don't want him to ever have to waltz up to an empty food tile.?

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Sometimes Sapphire even sleeps till noon. Usually he comes out to visit me when I take his food into his room around 9 or 10. Maybe I'm the party animal ? but some days I just can feel he's going to be out and about earlier. That's the days I at the least get his salad in there. I don't want him to ever have to waltz up to an empty food tile.?

Poe will bask for a good hour before he starts looking for food so I can never put it out before he’s ready or it doesn’t look appealing anymore lol or he’ll sit in the doorway to his hide for an hour then bask for an hour then look for food. He’s definitely not a morning person. He’s a grumpy little old man for sure

Jan A

Boulder, CO
You're a good mom, Cathie G. Don't let anyone tell you different. Wish I could get my hubby trained like that.

sylviadu97

Ontario, Canada
Hi from another Ontarian! It's so rare to see someone also from the cold part here (and I'm always jealous when I see people with their tortoises outside enjoying the sun and warmth)…
My tort usually comes out just before noon (so late!), although sometimes I go over to see him just poking his head out from his hide, watching silently lol. I have yet to discover a pattern, but the weather sounds like a good point! I'll definitely try to watch for that and see if I can find anything.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
Hi from another Ontarian! It's so rare to see someone also from the cold part here (and I'm always jealous when I see people with their tortoises outside enjoying the sun and warmth)…
My tort usually comes out just before noon (so late!), although sometimes I go over to see him just poking his head out from his hide, watching silently lol. I have yet to discover a pattern, but the weather sounds like a good point! I'll definitely try to watch for that and see if I can find anything.

Another gloomy morning in Ontario. This bugger slept in til 8:30-9 and then went back to bed at 10:45 ? see you never I guess
96F972BD-621C-4738-81C3-13DF85F35D08.jpeg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Poe will bask for a good hour before he starts looking for food so I can never put it out before he’s ready or it doesn’t look appealing anymore lol or he’ll sit in the doorway to his hide for an hour then bask for an hour then look for food. He’s definitely not a morning person. He’s a grumpy little old man for sure
?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You're a good mom, Cathie G. Don't let anyone tell you different. Wish I could get my hubby trained like that.
That's something I hope to be. But by now I've found that that is elusive because living with a tortoise is a lifelong learning experience. I'm enjoying it though ??

Chigal1

CA
This last week has been quite wet and dreary here and Ive noticed my tortoise the last couple of days only coming out of his hide in the morning for a couple of hours before retreating and staying in his hide until the next day.
I’ve been sure to bathe him earlier than I would the last few days to make sure to catch him before he went back into hiding. But I would say he gets up around 7am and is already back to bed by or before noon. Is this normal?
I’ve also noticed our other animals around the house have had similar behaviour. Our cats that like to spend their days outside are now curled up in their beds all day long and our new puppy who is hyperactive has been napping the last two days away.

When it becomes sunny again will he be back outside his hide all day? His enclosure is near a big bay window so I’m wondering if this makes it even easier for him to sense the changes and be aware of the conditions outside to make him hide.
I believe they can. My two torts live outside and In the summertime, if we happen to have a cooler day or rain is coming they are less active and definitely will go back to sleep.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I believe they can. My two torts live outside and In the summertime, if we happen to have a cooler day or rain is coming they are less active and definitely will go back to sleep.

Mine is indoors and we’re going on week two of rain here. This is the most I’ve seen of him in weeks. I’d be worried if he wasn’t eating but at least he wakes up, eats, then goes back to bed or naps like this in front of his door lol

3F15B20A-8814-42D3-B61B-2302C906B246.jpeg

Chigal1

CA
Mine is indoors and we’re going on week two of rain here. This is the most I’ve seen of him in weeks. I’d be worried if he wasn’t eating but at least he wakes up, eats, then goes back to bed or naps like this in front of his door lol

View attachment 324358
He’s a cutie. I believe animals whether they are mammal or reptile sense things we can’t. It is how they survive. I am not a vet but I believe he is fine because he is eating, which is always a great sign.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
He’s a cutie. I believe animals whether they are mammal or reptile sense things we can’t. It is how they survive. I am not a vet but I believe he is fine because he is eating, which is always a great sign.

I just caught him on his way back to bed and deterred him by waving a treat (carrot) he turned around munched on the carrot then some of his weeds I had laid out then once he was done went straight to bed before 10:30 this time