Can tortoises see in the dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
A basic google search did not show much.

I turned off my RT's light for the night and about 30 minutes later I could hear him walking around (which I thought was odd because he had been sleeping like a rock when I turned off the light) so I went to see what he was up to. There was only a dim lamp on in the room so I could barely make him out but he appeared to be continuously running into things (such as the walls and his the sides of his hides). I turned his light back on and continued to watch him stomp around, without running into things this time, until he found some lettuce to munch on. My guess is that he was looking for a little midnight snack! :p

So anyways, this made me curious if they can see at all in the dark. My guess would is no but I am curious what you all think/know.

;)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Typically an animals eyes develop for the normal active time they would be up and about. Owls don't fly during the day partly because their pupils are huge to allow for maximizing the little light available at night. Sunlight would be very intense for their eyes. I could see the reverse for tortoises or any of the other diurnal animals.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Yes, Tortoises can see in low light conditions. There has not been a species I have kept that wasn't active at night at some point or another. I've had a few individuals of many species who were active at just about every night, while most others were active because of ambient conditions.......

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
They also have a different eye structure than we do and can probably see into the infra-red or ultra-violet at least a little, which would also help in reduced light conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.