Can this tank still be used?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I found this tank free on craigslist with hopes of fixing it up for my sister. I admit I am ignorant when it comes to sumps, but I believe this tank used to be used with one? Original owner did not say, but said it still held water and that they just didn't have time to take care of the fish any more.
Is it still possible to use this and if so, does it need to be used with a sump? Is there a way to seal the bottom hole and then just use with a canister filter? It is an Oceanic Systems inc tank. 5 ft by 18.5in by 24.in and they said it holds about 112 gallons. IMG_3198.JPGIMG_3199.JPGIMG_3197.JPG

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
You can cap off the pipe or take it all out and seal the hole with a piece of glass and aquarium sealer. Make the piece of glass o patch the hole bigger then the hole.
Thanks so much! I think I am going to try getting a bulk head for the side without one and caping both sides. Is one way better than the other (as far as caping off or patching with glass)?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks so much! I think I am going to try getting a bulk head for the side without one and caping both sides. Is one way better than the other (as far as caping off or patching with glass)?
If it were me, I would use aquarium acrylic around the caps. Or if you go the glass route, I would place the glass inside the tank and seal it with the same aquarium acrylic. If aquarium acrylic and hold the sides of a tank together and sealed from leaks it should do the same with glass over the hole. Just be sure it thick enough glass, same as the aquarium.