Can this be considered balanced diet for baby Aldabra?

niraj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
There are various posts on this forum recommending different combinations of diet for Aldabras. However, I could not find a specific post mentioning ideal specifications for the same as most posts have not discussed in detail the specifics of their recommendations such as the same are to be given in which proportions and at what intervals etc.

However, I found the following link which provides exact specifications for a balanced diet:

https://aldabratortoisehusbandry.wordpress.com/home/nutrition/

The specifications are as under:

Alfalfa hay (200 g), Orange with peel (100g), Apples with skin(200g), Melon with rind(100g), Grazer pellet (8.82g) , Moose pellet, Cabbage (50g), Chinese cabbage (100g), Dandelion leaves(100g), Yucca (50g), Lettuce (50g), Spinach (10g), Carrots (50g), pumpkin (20), Celery (100g), Pet cal, Vit E-cube, Vit D3, Vit A supplement to be between 300-400 , vitamin B12 supplement (1-1.5).

I requests experts to share their views on the above specifications with regard to whether in their opinion, this is a balanced diet and whether they recommend any changes in the above based on their experiences.

Also, whether the above is recommended for a baby Aldabra in proportionally reduced proportions or whether changes in the above are required for babies.

Thank you.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When you want aldab info go to the expert @ALDABRAMAN

Bee62

Germany
I totally agree with @Tom
Aldabras are grazers. They usually don`t eat much fruits. Fruits are too high in sugar and sugar disturbes the good intestinal bacterias . Sugar causes diarrhoe.
Baby torts eat no hay. They eat fresh smooth grass and weeds / herbs. Cabbage contains too much goitrogens. Spinach too. I would never feed spinach or cabbage to any tort.
Vitamin supplements are not needed when a tort gets fresh greens and UVB light but torts will always need a good calcium resource like cuttle bones. For babies I am using crushed cuttle bones. It is easier for baby torts to eat small pieces. Too much vitamin A causes severe skin shedding and can end with the death of the tort. No vitamin supplements, that`s my opinion.
What you described is no balanced diet for an aldabra baby tort and I would not feed that stuff. I know that @ALDABRAMAN who is the expert here with aldabra torts wrote that he let his baby aldabras only graze. No fruits, no carrots, no cabbage, no spinach and so on.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
I totally agree with @Tom
Aldabras are grazers. They usually don`t eat much fruits. Fruits are too high in sugar and sugar disturbes the good intestinal bacterias . Sugar causes diarrhoe.
Baby torts eat no hay. They eat fresh smooth grass and weeds / herbs. Cabbage contains too much goitrogens. Spinach too. I would never feed spinach or cabbage to any tort.
Vitamin supplements are not needed when a tort gets fresh greens and UVB light but torts will always need a good calcium resource like cuttle bones. For babies I am using crushed cuttle bones. It is easier for baby torts to eat small pieces. Too much vitamin A causes severe skin shedding and can end with the death of the tort. No vitamin supplements, that`s my opinion.
What you described is no balanced diet for an aldabra baby tort and I would not feed that stuff. I know that @ALDABRAMAN who is the expert here with aldabra torts wrote that he let his baby aldabras only graze. No fruits, no carrots, no cabbage, no spinach and so on.
Thank you. Can you please throw some light on the recommendations of the https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk with regard to Aldabra Tortoises as they have general recommendations and not species specific. I would also request @ALDABRAMAN to share his valuable opinion on the same.

Bee62

Germany
Thank you. Can you please throw some light on the recommendations of the https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk with regard to Aldabra Tortoises as they have general recommendations and not species specific. I would also request @ALDABRAMAN to share his valuable opinion on the same.
The tortoise table only tells us which plants are good for torts and which not. Tortoise table often say: "Feed as part of a wider diet".
I don`t know which plants, herbs, weeds or lettuce are available in India but I think it is totally different to the plants you can get in America or Germany for example. So please keep in mind that aldabras are herbivore tortoises that eat mostly grass, leafs, endible blossoms, herbs and weeds and search what you can get in your land.
Btw blossoms: Can you get hibiscus leafs and blossoms ? My aldabras love hibiscus blossoms.
Look for Aldabraman on Facebook. Maybe there he will answer your questions. He is a real expert with aldabra torts and raising them.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
The specifications are as under:

Alfalfa hay (200 g), Orange with peel (100g), Apples with skin(200g), Melon with rind(100g), Grazer pellet (8.82g) , Moose pellet, Cabbage (50g), Chinese cabbage (100g), Dandelion leaves(100g), Yucca (50g), Lettuce (50g), Spinach (10g), Carrots (50g), pumpkin (20), Celery (100g), Pet cal, Vit E-cube, Vit D3, Vit A supplement to be between 300-400 , vitamin B12 supplement (1-1.5).

Fruit, cabbage, and spinach aside, is this guide recommending moose poop?

Jamie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow that list has all kinds of bad stuff on it.
I know Aldabramans tortoises graze but I don't know what they are actually eating within the grass they graze on. He also feeds hay, orchard and alfalfa but I dont think daily. He will feed Mazuri tortoise food and cactus pads. Treats of bell peppers, water melon, more I cant think of is given when he can get it. I believe their main diet is grazing. @ALDABRAMAN can confirm.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I would also request @ALDABRAMAN to share his valuable opinion on the same.

~ We feed our hatchlings up to one year of age various grass, weeds, some lettuce and cactus only. No fruit, commercial diets or supplements at all. They need real sunshine with plenty of shade options for self thermal regulation, ample space for good exercise levels and fresh cool water sources to ensure good hydration. This has proven to produce the best overall shell growth and development for us at our program. They should grow slow, steady and smooth for the first year.

~ Feel free to follow @ https://www.facebook.com/ALDABRAMAN

~ feel free to join @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/TORTOISETALKGROUP/

57049146_809665729394882_2548597554375819264_n.jpg 52602337_779596672401788_7342406206381621248_n 2.jpg 52402741_779589619069160_6090006224042983424_n.jpg 51794184_2254048251323952_2688416134478168064_n.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I know Aldabramans tortoises graze but I don't know what they are actually eating within the grass they graze on. @ALDABRAMAN can confirm.

~ Our breeders mainly graze on various grass, weeds and cactus. I am including hay in the grass category, primarily orchard grass. Anything else is treats and consist of less than probably 10% of the diet.