Can someone id this toad?

Tortoisesturtles

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Sorry if this is in the wrong category...
I need an answer. I have never seen a toad like this here.

Very beautiful colors. (I will release after I know what it is. I know they should be left in the wild but I had to take a picture.)

20211005_222253.jpg
20211005_222257.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Toads can be quite variable...depending on the local population.

Fowler's or Woodhouse's came to mind. The stripe on each can be wide or faint.

If you have a private garden shop or a college extension office nearby, they might confirm for you.

Tortoisesturtles

Michigan

If you have a private garden shop or a college extension office nearby, they might confirm for you.
Its so hard to tell. I Think i have to bring IT to a nature Center or something. I will Google if there is anything near me :)

Tortoisesturtles

Michigan
It could also be an intergrade between the Woodhouse's and a Fowler's or between a Fowler's and an American. There are a few possibilities when you consider the intergrades.
Oh well I didn't even knew they could breed with each other... this makes it even harder :/ should I just let it go? Dont want him to starve

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would let it go if you can confirm it's a native. Otherwise, if it's not native and ine someone let go, he may not survive.
Do a search for your native ones and because there can be such a variety of appearance, if there is one that seems very close but not as colorful, I would assume it's the same and consider it native and let it go.

zovick

10 Year Member!

Oh well I didn't even knew they could breed with each other... this makes it even harder :/ should I just let it go? Dont want him to starve
If you are that curious about exactly what it is and can take it somewhere in the next day or so to have it identified, then that is a possibility. If you can't get it to a good herpetologist in that time frame, I would simply let it go where you found it (assuming it wasn't on a road). If it was on a road, obviously you should release it in some woods or a swamp near where it was found.

There are probably some very knowledgeable herp people at the University of Michigan if you are near that.

Another idea would be to take some more good quality photos of the toad, top and bottom, and then release it. The photos could probably be used to ID it and you wouldn't need to worry about going anywhere or feeding it..

Tortoisesturtles

Michigan
If you are that curious about exactly what it is and can take it somewhere in the next day or so to have it identified, then that is a possibility. If you can't get it to a good herpetologist in that time frame, I would simply let it go where you found it (assuming it wasn't on a road). If it was on a road, obviously you should release it in some woods or a swamp near where it was found.

There are probably some very knowledgeable herp people at the University of Michigan if you are near that.

Another idea would be to take some more good quality photos of the toad, top and bottom, and then release it. The photos could probably be used to ID it and you wouldn't need to worry about going anywhere or feeding it..
I'm gonna set it back. It's to much stress I think for this toad. I don't want to grab him to take pictures and hes to active to hold still on his own. Its probably some kind of hybrid then maybe. Thank u all for trying to help! I will surely remember this awesome looking little bugger :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm gonna set it back. It's to much stress I think for this toad. I don't want to grab him to take pictures and hes to active to hold still on his own. Its probably some kind of hybrid then maybe. Thank u all for trying to help! I will surely remember this awesome looking little bugger :)
Probably a good plan. It is a neat looking animal, for sure.

Thanks for doing the right thing.