Can someone help me sex and identify subspecies please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi all, I have a greek I got a while ago...but that's all I know. I don't know Gender or subspecies and I would like to know. I took some photos of the top, bottom, hind, and tail. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 176
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0050.jpg
    IMAG0050.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
  • IMAG0052.jpg
    IMAG0052.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 133

poison

5 Year Member
cool a game :D im not good at sexing torts but i just wanna take a guess. im saying female.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm gonna say Ibera, female.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Im going to ask how old first off...looks kind of young to sex. Could be either way. Is the plaston concaved?

ismail

5 Year Member
I think its a she and i would say its a golden greek...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ismail said:
I think its a she and i would say its a golden greek...

No, a "Golden" Greek is a Testudo Graeca Terrestris. This is definitely a Testudo graeca ibera.

PowersSax911

5 Year Member
Clovis, CA
It's abdominal scutes on his plastron are slightly concave, otherwise the femoral and pectoral scutes seem to be flat. He's about two or three years old I think.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Gender cannot be judged by plastron concavity alone. Especially in the case of a captive born and raised Ibera which this one is. The concavity seen in the photo of the tortoise is very typical of captive growth. It would not normally be so prominent at such a young age in a wild caught example. Add to that the fact that females quite often have slightly concave lower plastrons too. When comparing two mature adults (male & female) side by side the males concavity is much more obvious then although both may show some.

lq558

5 Year Member
I think it is a herman's tortoise, only from the last picture,in which there are 2 supracaudal scute, while greek should has only 1

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
lq558 said:
I think it is a herman's tortoise, only from the last picture,in which there are 2 supracaudal scute, while greek should has only 1

The supracaudal scute split as an identifying feature is not a valid one. It is a very old "myth" and is in no way at all an accurate characteristic to distinguish Hermann's from Greeks. As many Hermann's (primarily Easterns) have two, or split supracaudal scutes as those that don't. In the multiple Greeks subspecies the majority do not have a split supracaudal, but it is not uncommon that some do. So the characteristic has no value whatsoever in determining anything.

The tortoise in the photo is absolutely not a Hermann's tortoise anyway, regardless of supracaudal scute configuration. All other valid identifying characteristics determine that it is an Ibera Greek.

lq558

5 Year Member
Thank you for your explanation, to the 2 friends upstairs. I will put my three greek pictures on this greek part, because I am afraid that maybe I have some wrong opinion on the ids of these three guy. I am not confident now.

Status
Not open for further replies.