Can Russians Swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
So, I read the post on the other subforum about tortoises swimming. Today I chatted with a lady over the phone who said she lets her russian swim. I said, "oh yeah, they can splash around in a little bit of water...nothing too deep". She told me that she's been letting hers swim in her bathtub and she always thought they liked it. I of course let her know politely that russians really don't need/want to swim.

But then it got me thinking. Can they swim?!? I'm absolutely amazed that her tortoise didn't drown. She told me specifically that she left it in there for an hour last week unsupervised. I'm just floored. It must have been swimming cause there's no other way it could have lived, but how in the world did it do that? I know that probably nobody on here is doing what she is, but has anyone on here ever seen their russian swim?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are we talkong like 6 or 12 inches of water? or is it just like 2 inches and the poor thing is desperatly trying to get out?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
It sounded like enough where it couldn't touch the bottom. When I told her that they aren't the swimming type of creatures she got really sad and felt really really bad. I had already told her that they're fine when there's enough water to wade/slosh around in, so I'm 90% certain she meant more than that.

Poor little guy.

dmward1978

5 Year Member
She probably just didnt know better. Point her here for a friendly education!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My desert tortoises sink like stones. I've never tried the Russians because mine are deathly afraid of the water, but I'll bet they sink too. I think it has to do with the higher domed ones containing more air and being able to float.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I am guessing that because it was "swimming" around, she assumed it liked it. Most likely it was scared to death and trying to get out. Similar to the case where people let their tort roam around their living room and because the tort is running around they assume the tort is happy, but more likely the tort is scared and looking for a safe place to hide. Good job for gently pointing out that it isn't a good idea. I have however heard some rare cases that people claim their Russians can swim, but I sure wouldn't want to test it out. My little guy isn't too fond of water except sometimes when I place him in a warm soak (in his enclosure so he can get out when he wants), he'll stay in there for 20 minutes and relax. I would be interested to know how deep this water was in actuality. Maybe the tort was tall enough and the water was shallow enough that the tort was kinda bouncing off the bottom by kicking its feet up, so it could keep its head above the water? I'd be kinda intrigued to see a video except I know its cruel so I wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.