1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Can Russian Tortoises Eat Peas?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Vanessa Black, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Vanessa Black

Vanessa Black Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Idaho
    I wanted to make my tortoise a little Christmas feast but I wanted to make sure she could eat everything. I was thinking of peas, diced carrots and cauliflower maybe?
  2. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter Platinum Supporter

Newport Coast, CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    She can have a few peas every now and then. They are legumes, so higher in protein than other plants but not “bad.”

Peas and carrots are both high in sugar and might upset the digestive track. Perhaps feed just one or the other unless you make it a very small feast.
    Gillian M and Cowboy_Ken like this.
  3. ShirleyTX

ShirleyTX Active Member

Canyon Lake TX USA
    Tortoises probably don’t understand the concept of treats, do you think? So here’s another idea for her holiday feast. Choose her very favorite foods and make a presentation of it. Stack so it looks like a Christmas tree. Or serve on a pretty holiday plate, with sprigs of tort-safe herbs as garnish. Or arrange her favorite foods on a big pretty piece of romaine. Make sure everything you present to her is edible! And then do take photos for us!!! Merry Christmas. :)
    Cathie G, Cheryl Hills and Gillian M like this.
  4. Cathie G

Cathie G Well-Known Member

Lancaster
    I think their favorite treat is breakfast as usual. And sprucing it up can't hurt when it's good food. I think even my tortoise would like a pretty salad on Christmas morning. Hopefully I get to see your photos and take some of my own.
    Cheryl Hills likes this.