Can pill bugs and sow bugs escape

BobbyJ

Hello in thinking of putting some pill bugs and sow bugs into the 90 gallon Fishtank with my redfoot tortoise .. I'm just curious if the bugs can escape ? Any thoughts

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do believe they can climb glass, but I'm not 100% sure. If they can, then they could get out.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I have tons of pillbugs. They choose to stay in the enclosure with the live plants and food scraps. I've never seen any out of the enclosure. :) (to my surprise because I have kids that leave food scraps! :p)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They like to stay in dark hidden places. I've never had any try to escape. I usually find them under the water dish inside.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
They like to stay in dark hidden places. I've never had any try to escape. I usually find them under the water dish inside.
You're right they hide in those dark damp areas. Whenever I move my terra cotta dish to clean it, my Red bolts toward the mud like a velociraptor to eat the pillbugs.:D

BobbyJ

They can climb the silicone beads in the corners (so can crickets)but would have no real reason to escape a nice cozy tank.
That's a good point , I'm thinking what if I put a piece of tape over the silicone halfway through this way even if they do decide to climb , they will not have grip and fall back down

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's a good point , I'm thinking what if I put a piece of tape over the silicone halfway through this way even if they do decide to climb , they will not have grip and fall back down
You could use a razor and cut away the silicone from the inside, But lets say that they DID escape...And there were 20 of them. What's the harm? You'd never, ever see them and they wouldn't do any damage.
Is it that you dislike bugs? Relax. The consensus is that they won't escape in the first place.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They're not going to escape. If you're concerned, make sure they have food. I find that a richer substrate, instead of pure coconut coir, helps them survive.