Can my tortoise eat hay?

lucycdavies

Location (City and/or State)
Haverfordwest
I have heard that tortoises can eat hay as a snack, but I'm wondering if my one year old spur thighed tortoise can eat it. ? Thank you

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Tortoises need a verrry slow introduction to new foods. You need to cut the hay into tiny pieces, and put a tiny amount in his food, mixed in. That way he starts to get the taste of it, and as he grows he'll accept it in larger pieces.

You might want to try bermuda hay or orchard grass hay first. It's softer and easier to chew.

Timothy hay is stiffer and stemmier...harder to cut and eat.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have heard that tortoises can eat hay as a snack, but I'm wondering if my one year old spur thighed tortoise can eat it. ? Thank you
Given your location, I'm going to assume you are talking about a greek tortoise and not a sulcata. Both are referred to with "spur thigh" in their common names.

Greeks are not grass eaters. The only way I'd try to feed them hay, is if it was blended it up and I was trying to add some fiber to a diet of grocery store greens. Other than that, its not really the right food for your tortoise.

lucycdavies

Haverfordwest
Given your location, I'm going to assume you are talking about a greek tortoise and not a sulcata. Both are referred to with "spur thigh" in their common names.

Greeks are not grass eaters. The only way I'd try to feed them hay, is if it was blended it up and I was trying to add some fiber to a diet of grocery store greens. Other than that, its not really the right food for your tortoise.
Ui

Im sure that I have a spur thighed tortoise ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im sure that I have a spur thighed tortoise ?
Did you read what I wrote? There are two completely different species with completely different care and feeding requirements referred to as "spur thigh".

I have no doubt that you have a spur thigh. The question is: Which one?