Can my tort eat cactus pads with spines?

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I went to a grocery store and found that they had cactus pads, but they had spines. I have heard that torts love them and was just about to buy some, can he still eat them if I took the spines off?
Sorry, it didn't even cross my mind to take pics until later, but they were just little spikes.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes....some ppl scrape them off, some burn them off, some cut them off, and many of us no longer do anything. Just feed the pads as is, maybe chopped up or cut up. Or whole pads. I used to cut around the edge with a knive, then scrape the rest off (when our Sully was small). Now, even just today, i cut the pads up into big chunks & feed as is.

Herman_WA

Washington
Yes....some ppl scrape them off, some burn them off, some cut them off, and many of us no longer do anything. Just feed the pads as is, maybe chopped up or cut up. Or whole pads. I used to cut around the edge with a knive, then scrape the rest off (when our Sully was small). Now, even just today, i cut the pads up into big chunks & feed as is.
Perfect! Thanks so much! I'll go buy them the next time we're there!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I went to a grocery store and found that they had cactus pads, but they had spines. I have heard that torts love them and was just about to buy some, can he still eat them if I took the spines off?
Sorry, it didn't even cross my mind to take pics until later, but they were just little spikes.
Do you mean fully spined like one inch spines all over the pad? Or do you mean there were a few tiny small spines?

If its the latter, they can just eat it without you doing anything. If its the former, then I don't think its worth the effort to remove all the spines.

Herman_WA

Washington
Do you mean fully spined like one inch spines all over the pad? Or do you mean there were a few tiny small spines?

If its the latter, they can just eat it without you doing anything. If its the former, then I don't think its worth the effort to remove all the spines.
There just little spikes. About 1cm or less.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been meaning to ask the same question for my Greek tortoise! I’ve been removing the spines, but it’s pretty time consuming. One thing I have figured out is that the pad can last quite a long time in a zip bag in the refrigerator if you only cut from one side and leave the rest of it undisturbed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been meaning to ask the same question for my Greek tortoise! I’ve been removing the spines, but it’s pretty time consuming. One thing I have figured out is that the pad can last quite a long time in a zip bag in the refrigerator if you only cut from one side and leave the rest of it undisturbed.
The pads will last even longer if you don't put them in a plastic bag or the fridge. They last longest in areas with lots of ventilation. I store them this way outside in summer time when temps are over 100 every day and they last for months. I know its counter-intuitive, but try it. You'll see what I mean.

SJTort

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pads will last even longer if you don't put them in a plastic bag or the fridge. They last longest in areas with lots of ventilation. I store them this way outside in summer time when temps are over 100 every day and they last for months. I know its counter-intuitive, but try it. You'll see what I mean.
Interesting! I left one out on the kitchen counter and it didn’t do well. Probably just a fluke.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I had 2 small stands of opuntia growing for my tort. I have to put wire cages around plants because of the rabbits here.

We had a pretty strong wind event, and one of the cages became dislodged. 24 hours later there was nothing left to indicate some cactus had ever been there. It was smooth ground, not a speck of anything green.

I've learned to hate rabbits. @Tom would Rick and Morty like to come for a visit? They could really pig out, and the only competition I see is a Cooper's hawk that visits occasionally. Easy pickin's! ??

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
FWIW I have cactus flour (not flower), its organic sourced dehydrated opuntia cactus ground fine into a flour like consistency. No spines, no glochids, sprinkles on like calcium powder, can be used 3-5 times a week (always give the diet a break from any single food item at least once a week). At least a two year shelf life, as dehydrated one pound is equivalent to ten pounds fresh.

I'll never argue it's better than organic fresh, but it is many times more convenient.

1608218049784.png

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
FWIW I have cactus flour (not flower), its organic sourced dehydrated opuntia cactus ground fine into a flour like consistency. No spines, no glochids, sprinkles on like calcium powder, can be used 3-5 times a week (always give the diet a break from any single food item at least once a week). At least a two year shelf life, as dehydrated one pound is equivalent to ten pounds fresh.

I'll never argue it's better than organic fresh, but it is many times more convenient.

View attachment 313232
Yes, I use it. Best of all, the %*@!"# rabbits can't eat it! :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Tristan,

I thoroughly enjoyed this, and believe Richard's works would be appreciated by more people if we all had an intro like this. Very memorable!
Now, me...my preferences run toward Puccini and Verdi, as you know I am a hopeless romantic.

I bid adieu,
Isolde

AmandaTX

Houston, TX
I second Tom's outdoor storage method. Prickly pear cactus are native to our area (Texas coast) and during storms, pads may break off and float to other islands. The pad forms a kind of "scab" on the cut side as it dries, and eventually roots start to emerge so the pad can replant itself. These guys are TOUGH. They are ridiculously easy to grow if your climate is warm enough and they have a sunny spot. Pop a cut end into the ground and ignore it, the cactus will take care of itself. Our red-footed is only a year old, so he doesn't need a whole pad at a time. I go out and snip a chunk off with scissors. In these pictures you can see the regenerated pads on cut areas. This teeny tiny cactus my finger is pointing to regrew itself from a small chunk that fell off a cutting.

Attachments

• 20201218_125047.jpg
    20201218_125047.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20201218_125103.jpg
    20201218_125103.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18