can my russian tortoise eat red leaf lettuce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Sure - he can eat any lettuce - as long as it's not the sole food in his diet. Just make sure he has plenty of varietys with high calcium greens.

RainbowDrops

5 Year Member
Try to avoid Iceberg lettuce as it's just full of water and lacks in vitamins! He/she will get used to it and may turn its head away to the veggies! Romaine lettuce is occasionally okay but I try to avoid any kinds of lettuce and then replaced it with cabbage instead.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
russian tortoise boy said:
ok i bought 3 kind of lettuce in one bucket and 1 of 3 kinds there are red leaf lettuce. can my russian tortoise eat red leaf lettuce?

He can eat it! And like mentioned no iceberg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Romaine lettuce is occasionally okay but I try to avoid any kinds of lettuce and then replaced it with cabbage instead.

I would not routinely offer cabbage, it has the ability to inhibit calcium absorption and can cause serious health problems. I personally would choose romaine over cabbage...of course a touch of cabbage from time to time would be aok....:D Remember, variety is key--while remembering which items are a bit more of a spike on the less desirable side....simply sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.