Can Mazuri make tortoise picky eater?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello, I just wanted to see some thoughts from you all. My Hermann's tortoise tends to be a picky eater in general. He has often shunned any thing new, even pooping on just that food and eating the rest. About a month ago or so, I was able to get a smaller bag of the original Mazuri for him to try. He loved it (as many have said tortoises do). But after the first day, he would not touch any of the other food. I gave him Mazuri a few days later, which he gladly ate, but then again he wouldn't eat all the other food sans Mazuri the next day. It would take a few days before he seemed to eat his regular food again. I pretty much decided I'd only give him Mazuri once a week, just wanted to see how that went. Well, early this week he got his mix of Mazuri with dried Hibiscus, clover, dandelion and some violet cut up into it. Ate pretty well. The rest of this week he is basically looking at his food, sniffing it and leaving. He keeps staying in his hide most of the day unless I take him out to soak him, and will maybe nibble on the food. I have not given him any Mazuri. Since the beginning of this week. Is this normal? Should I not do Mazuri at all? I was trying to provide variety since he is picky in general, but now I'm not sure if him not getting the Mazuri is making him starve himself in protest. Thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it an adult? If yes, then I'd just let it eat when it wants to. As spring warms up, the appetite should increase, and the pickiness should subside.

Its really your call. Not really a right or wrong answer here. You could mix in a single soaked Mazuri pellet with all the other greens daily and that wouldn't hurt anything.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is it an adult? If yes, then I'd just let it eat when it wants to. As spring warms up, the appetite should increase, and the pickiness should subside.

Its really your call. Not really a right or wrong answer here. You could mix in a single soaked Mazuri pellet with all the other greens daily and that wouldn't hurt anything.

Oh ok, thank you! I was told he is a juvenile...but I soon found out the owner of the local shop that brought him in for me didn't really know anything. He had also told me he was a western (which he is not) and captive bred, which I had asked for. I am doubting that as well now. Thank you again for your help.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My Western Hermann loves mazuri too. I have got him down to 2 pellets twice a week. I also would grind a couple up and lightly sprinkle on the other days. Then slowly less and less sprinkle.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
My Western Hermann loves mazuri too. I have got him down to 2 pellets twice a week. I also would grind a couple up and lightly sprinkle on the other days. Then slowly less and less sprinkle.
Ooooooo, that's a good idea. I think I'll have to try that. Thanks! When you have done two pellets, did you have to chop up the other food really small, or just have it all mixed together? My tort will eat around anything he doesn't want.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hold the mazuri close to his mouth, then he takes a bite off of it from my fingers. ( Yes, this is how I trained my torts to eat out of my hand). Even my new miss. Dexter Persimmons does this. Then I leave a tiny trail going to a pile of groceries, and hide a big chunk of the mazuri at the bottom rolled up in lettuce. He eats his way to the mazuri. I put mazuri on new to them foods too. It gives them something to do, and I feel closer to them that they trust me by eating from my hand.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I hold the mazuri close to his mouth, then he takes a bite off of it from my fingers. ( Yes, this is how I trained my torts to eat out of my hand). Even my new miss. Dexter Persimmons does this. Then I leave a tiny trail going to a pile of groceries, and hide a big chunk of the mazuri at the bottom rolled up in lettuce. He eats his way to the mazuri. I put mazuri on new to them foods too. It gives them something to do, and I feel closer to them that they trust me by eating from my hand.

I will definitely try. I had tried hiding some Mazuri in the past and this sneaky guy would just push everything away and if anything else got in his mouth, he spit it out ( or let it drop out of his mouth...I guess they don't really spit). I actually tried grinding up one pellet a little while ago since he still hadn't eaten his food. I sprinkled it on top and he came right over, sniffed and proceeded to attempt to get the minuscule bits of Mazuri without eating anything else:rolleyes:. I'll keep trying though. Thanks again!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Oh and my tort will eat from my hands...but only what he likes?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Picky little tort. LOL. The sprinkle worked for me after a few days. Then I stopped putting it on the lettuce and he still ate the lettuce looking for it ( I guess, or hungry) but it took some time. Good luck maybe someone else can help

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Oooooooo...!!!!!!!! I would LOVE a video of that!!!! You may just be the tortoise whisperer!!?????

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
MVIMG_20200328_115212.jpgMVIMG_20200328_110852.jpgMVIMG_20200328_103029.jpgGilbert my Western Hermann
Miss.Dexter Persimmons my Eastern Hermann (only had 3 weeks) and Ink my Leopard. Neither Hermann tortoise ever had chayote. I did sprinkle mazuri on it for Gilbert to try it, he ate more without mazuri on it. This is my herd. LOL

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello, just a quick update. I think Otsokrikri is finally coming off his "only Mazuri" food strike. He did eat some today and yesterday, not tons, but he did and there wasn't any Mazuri in it. He was only given 3 pellets once this week, and I sprinkled a crushed one on his food yesterday. The other days this week he came to the food, sniffed it, pushed it around, then looked at me like "Really?" and left. Hopefully he will give up the strike completely. Here he is outside for a little sun today. And here are his other shell buddies.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 11

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Nice torts and turtle. So pretty!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Just a quick update on my picky eater. This week, Otsokrikri has been eating very well with or without Mazuri! I do think the warmer weather and getting out has helped (although it's been raining all week here, go figure). Happy to see him eating again though. Still picky, but he's eating.