Can I use sawdust or gound walnut?

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I have heard sawdust is not good for bedding and could be harmful. If so how is it harmful?
I'm also wondering about ground walnuts???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have heard sawdust is not good for bedding and could be harmful. If so how is it harmful?
Both are far too dry. Both will mold when they get wet from the tortoise using its water bowl. Both create irritating dust. Both are an impaction risk. Both are not suitable for a tortoise enclosure.

There are only three viable substrate that are safe and effective. Fine grade orchid bark (aka: fir bark), cypress mulch, and coco coir. All three need to be kept a little damp, and this will help create a healthy living environment for your tortoise.

FrankIinTheTortoise

Earth

You need something moist and humid. Those are too dry and create dust. I personally use coconut fiber topped with some cypress mulch. Feel free to use anything Tom said.

Herman_WA

Washington
Both are far too dry. Both will mold when they get wet from the tortoise using its water bowl. Both create irritating dust. Both are an impaction risk. Both are not suitable for a tortoise enclosure.

There are only three viable substrate that are safe and effective. Fine grade orchid bark (aka: fir bark), cypress mulch, and coco coir. All three need to be kept a little damp, and this will help create a healthy living environment for your tortoise.
Thanks! I was just trying to find a cheaper alternative for substrate. I really appreciate all the info you give to us all!

Herman_WA

Washington

What do you think about exo terra coco husk?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you think about exo terra coco husk?
That is one of the many names for coco coir. Also known as: Bed-a-Beast or Eco Earth.

If you want it cheap and in bulk, you can usually find it in giant 11 pound blocks at a garden center, or I buy mine here: https://prococo.com