Can I use a repti sun bulb a zilla fixture?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have the zilla desert series 50 fixture and 17 watt 24" bulb to go with it. I was wondering if I could get the zoo med 24" 20 watt bulb and put it in the zilla fixture with no problems? I looked at reviews, and several people on petco say they have done it with no problems.

I was also wondering, if I can use this bulb with my fixture, I'd want the 5.0 one for a russian tortoise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know why not. I have aquariums and I don't ever buy the bulb that made the fixture, unless by chance.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Ive been using repti suns in walmart fixtures so I can mount them inside my reptiles cages for 4 years :D i dnt think it matters really what you use.... just make sure wattage is always in mind.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
The fixture says something along the lines of " for optimal use and safety, use a 17 watt 24" zilla T8 bulb" Can I use the T5 in a T8 fixture if they are the same length? I just don't want to buy the repti sun and find out it won't work in my current fixture.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Can I use a repti sun bulb a zilla fixture?

hunterk997 said:
The fixture says something along the lines of " for optimal use and safety, use a 17 watt 24" zilla T8 bulb" Can I use the T5 in a T8 fixture if they are the same length? I just don't want to buy the repti sun and find out it won't work in my current fixture.

T5 tube can NOT be used in T8 fixture.

T5 tube needs T5 fixture.

T5HO tube needs T5HO fixture.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Thanks. I found a T8 version that is also 17 watt so it's exactly what I need.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Stay away from Zilla. Subpar UVB output.