Can I feed Prickly Cactus fruit to my 6yr old Sulcata?

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
I have a huge supply of cactus fruit, a friend collects them in the desert and he just keeps bringing them to me for my sulcata. She is 6, 34 pounds. I try to include many varied plants in her diet. Bermuda, orchard, dandelion, rocket, chickweed, crab grass, buckhorn plantain, aloe, baby lettuce (I grew, didn’t get very big), petunias, rose leaves, and squash. About how many cactus fruits do you think I can feed a week? If any.. They are high in sugar yeah?D69B9F2D-7F44-45A4-9403-8F0EE3558E40.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you can feed them. Being fruit though do it sparingly. The cactus pads are a good source of food, tell your friend to collect them too.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
THANKS! I feed spineless opuntia that I buy cuz my stock is not ready for cutting. But I don’t think he comes across spineless and he just picks these up off the ground.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a 34 pound sulcata, I think you could feed a half dozen of these a week with no problem. This is not a scientifically derived answer. It is just my feelings on the matter.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow! Lucky you, the benefits of living in Nevada! I purchase mine here in Maryland from a local International Market that carries nice large Opuntia pads & the tuna/fruit. Our Sully is about 80 lbs now and I feed her about 3 of these fruits a week. I toss them in whole & they get devoured first. I used to cut them in half to serve up, but find it one extra step that isnt needed.

Serve away.