can i feed my tortoise egg shells?

frank rose

Location (City and/or State)
palm beach gardens florida
The size of that enclosure is ok for now. You need to get your temps and humidity in order. This species does not hibernate. Is he eating at all?
You need to take that cyprus mulch out, put a 2" layer of moist coco coir in then put the Cyprus mulch back in on top of the coir.
Also black out the ends and back of your tank so it's a bit darker.
Put a terrocota saucer in there for its bath, big enough so your tort can sit in it. Feed on a slate or flat Rock.
Temps want to be 80 to 88f. Ideally 82/84f. And humidity at 80%.

What you got on there for a lid.

where can I get a terrocota saucer? the thing that the tortoise is on is the feeding plate yes he does eat and I don't have a lid I don't truly know the size of the tank I think its about 30-40 gallons when I do figure it out I'm gonna get a lid but until then what could possibly work as a lid?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A piece of board over the top will work as a lid, but be careful near the lights. You don't want a fire

With enclosures the important size is the floor area. You only need a ruler to measure its length and width that all.

Terracotta plant saucers can be purchased from hardware and garden stores.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
where can I get a terrocota saucer? the thing that the tortoise is on is the feeding plate yes he does eat and I don't have a lid I don't truly know the size of the tank I think its about 30-40 gallons when I do figure it out I'm gonna get a lid but until then what could possibly work as a lid?
The reason I mentioned terrocota dish for your bath is because it doesn't look like your tort will fit in your existing bath.
The fact you have no lid on the enclosure tells me your humidity is way to low unless that whole room is humid, also you won't have an ambient temperature, your tort has 2 options, sit under the heat lamp and dry out all day or sit away from the heat lamp at room temperature, both are not ideal. If your tort is too dry due to low humidity and it's sat under the light trying to get warm most of the time it will pyramid and get deformed scutes over time.
Best thing for now as joesmum said is find a piece of wood and cover your enclosure as much as possible up to those lights. Just a piece of wood layed on top that you can slide to the side to feed and water your tort will do for now.
Also, because you don't know the history of this tort and because you are keeping it in an open enclosure I would Bathe this tort in warm water every day for a week or so for 15 mins. Make sure he's hydrated.

frank rose

The reason I mentioned terrocota dish for your bath is because it doesn't look like your tort will fit in your existing bath.
The fact you have no lid on the enclosure tells me your humidity is way to low unless that whole room is humid, also you won't have an ambient temperature, your tort has 2 options, sit under the heat lamp and dry out all day or sit away from the heat lamp at room temperature, both are not ideal. If your tort is too dry due to low humidity and it's sat under the light trying to get warm most of the time it will pyramid and get deformed scutes over time.
Best thing for now as joesmum said is find a piece of wood and cover your enclosure as much as possible up to those lights. Just a piece of wood layed on top that you can slide to the side to feed and water your tort will do for now.
Also, because you don't know the history of this tort and because you are keeping it in an open enclosure I would Bathe this tort in warm water every day for a week or so for 15 mins. Make sure he's hydrated.

I got the best thing I could find to cover his enclose I did my best at getting it at least a little humid and I'm bathing him right now

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I got the best thing I could find to cover his enclose I did my best at getting it at least a little humid and I'm bathing him right now
Nice one. I think balancing cost with something practical for you to check humidity and temps you should get something like this. In and out means you can get a reading at both ends of your enclosure at the same time. You can go mad and buy mega expensive gauges but for about £10 over here you can get some pretty accurate devices.
Screenshot_2016-11-03-19-20-26.png

frank rose

I have a whole seprate aquarium that I'm bathing him in its to small for him to live in but just big enough for giving baths can I use it for now to give him baths in?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have a whole seprate aquarium that I'm bathing him in its to small for him to live in but just big enough for giving baths can I use it for now to give him baths in?
Yes. Just don't let the water get cold. You can bath him in a simple tub though. I used a margarine tub for one of my babies.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
please tell me uva and uv are the same thing if they aren't then I have to return a bulb
UVA is not the same as UVB. For your Tortoise you need UVB so it can get vitamin D. Vitamin D comes from the sun and uvb bulbs. Without vitamin D your Tortoise can't absorb calcium so it's bones grow properly. Dont panic though. See if you can exchange your bulb. What bulb are you using?

frank rose

UVA is not the same as UVB. For your Tortoise you need UVB so it can get vitamin D. Vitamin D comes from the sun and uvb bulbs. Without vitamin D your Tortoise can't absorb calcium so it's bones grow properly. Dont panic though. See if you can exchange your bulb. What bulb are you using?

daylight blue reptile bulb 40w by zoo med

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What's the temperature in your house where that Tortoise enclosure is?