can bearded dragons can eat lettuce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Feed them the same greens that you do your torts. Dragons can eat pretty much the same things as most tortoises eat. I had not tried rose petals on mine until today. Puff just chomped them down.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Jacqui is right; you can feed them pretty much the same things you feed a tortie, altho do not be surprised if he wants a pinky mouse every now and again.

BB, my Bearded Buddie, loves dandilion greens and flowers as a treat, and thrives on tasty crickets too {with a touch of vitamins.. shaken, not stirred, lol} ~

Enjoy your critters!
Purpod

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
My adult beardie LOVES greens. He will munch anything that I give to the torts. Of course, he gets a decent amount of protein as well.
He cruises my entire property "hunting" for dandelion flowers. He devoures them. He actually gets a lilttle nippy/aggressive when he's on the prowl for flowers.

jejton

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The younger they are the larger a percentage of their diet should be protein. They also need calcium for those growing bones. You should supplement it a couple times a week unless it gets a really varied diet and natural unfiltered sunshine. For protein, the staple is crickets but you should mix it up with mealworms, superworms, waxworms, roaches ( captive raised not caught around the house ), earthworms and an occasional pinkie or larger mouse as appropriate for its size ( rule of thumb is nothing bigger than the space between the lizards eyes ). For greens ( which is also the main source of hydration ) mix up whatever is in season by you - escarole, spinach, turnip greens, dandelions, kale, etc. Other vegetables can be hibiscus and dandelion flowers ( pesticide and fertilizer free ), squash, cooked hard squash, strawberries, melon - variety is the key.

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If your feeding king mealworms squish their heads.. Meal worms eat from the inside out and we had a bearded who had a hole from the inside out from a meal worm who burred his way out.. No kidding the vet has the pics on hsi office board too.

So just squish their heads they will still move..

don't forget to feed them pinkys, and fuzzies...you can buy them frozen just thaw them out

Make sure you don't use bait for worms, they do have chems on them many times, and you need to wash the worms from your yard too, since they can crawl through others people sprayed grasses.

jejton

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yours has to be the only reported case of this happening. I've seen it posted and heard it repeated many times but not once has anyone claimed to see it firsthand and all reputable ( not jabbing at you ) sources have shown this to be false. Beardies, as other lizards, do a pretty good job of crushing their prey before swallowing. Perhaps your bearded dragon was sick or dead ( was it still alive after this happened ) from something else.

kallista

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jejton said:
Yours has to be the only reported case of this happening. I've seen it posted and heard it repeated many times but not once has anyone claimed to see it firsthand and all reputable ( not jabbing at you ) sources have shown this to be false. Beardies, as other lizards, do a pretty good job of crushing their prey before swallowing. Perhaps your bearded dragon was sick or dead ( was it still alive after this happened ) from something else.

Yes most do chew well, but some just swallow.. I knwo first hand it does happen, and in about 1 out 30,000 it happens to.

Are you asking if my Beardie was dead when this happen?
No of course not....
I noticed a small hole and took him in. Then at the vets we notice it peeking out , and he pulled it out..
My beardie stayed there and was on meds but he passed away from it.
and no Jejton not ALL do a good job crushing their food..

And sources are out there its just rare, but cause its rare doesn't mean it isn't happening..

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
no lettuces for dragons! dark leafy greens - endive, escarole, and all the greens (mustard, collard, turnip) are perfect! dandelion greens, too!

check out beautifuldragons.com and look for the nutrition section, they have everything listed there!!!

mealworms are BAD for beardies! they contain a high chiton level, and are very hard to digest. superworms are actually much easier digested and have lower, more healthy chiton levels.

feeding pinkies is also very bad for them! this is a myth that they can eat them, and i've seen several dragons get sick from them! i've taken in dragons that have been fed pinkies prior, and they have had seriously high coccidea count due to it, as well as pinworms! also the bones in pinkies can cause impaction! please don't feed pinkies to dragons!

gut loaded crickets, silk worms, and roaches are the best foods for dragons when it comes to live food!

Status
Not open for further replies.