Can Aquatic Turtles Be Affected By Ich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had any aquatic turtles that have been infected with Ich, or if they have co-inhabited a tank with fish with ich and haven't been affected.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know for sure, but my guess would be no. I'm sure the medication that strips the fish of Ich would also help strip it off the turtle with no harm, but I would guess that it wouldn't attach to the turtle.

Yvonne

Bryan

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
I don't know for sure, but my guess would be no. I'm sure the medication that strips the fish of Ich would also help strip it off the turtle with no harm, but I would guess that it wouldn't attach to the turtle.

Yvonne

Thanks, I assumed not for a number of reasons. I figured that if it was a major concern I would have a ton of replies on the subject by now. If anyone else would like to chime in it would be much appreciated!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
According to the ninth edition Merck Vetenary Manual pg.1493, ich is an obligate pathogen and cannot survive witout the presence of living fish. I have kept amphibians with fish without it affecting themand therefore I feel a reptile with it's more advanced skin and respiratory system would be immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.