Can anyone tell me what kind of tortoise this is?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
That's a box turtle, a 3toed I think. He looks a little disfigured though.
Carapace looks bumpy and I thought 3-toed also, but the color face looks Eastern. However, I have only ever cared for 1 male box turtle and he was just brown. I put my vote in for male 3-toed

Oh crap, not a baby. But some of that advice will help you and read this too. Stick around and ask questions, we are glad to help

Last edited:

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It definitely has hybrid features (boxie species can inter-breed), but a box turtle.

Do check out both of those care sheets - most box turtles are kept way too dry and under-fed where meat proteins are concerned.

Let us know if you need support - welcome!

Relic

Here
Three-toed is correct. Carapace is a bit unusual, but nothing to worry about for a three-toed. I've had one with a similar "wide shouldered" carapace:DSCN0450.jpeg

Last edited:

m irwin

Dallas
I agree, looks like a three toed with oddly shaped shell. Fortunately, Three Toed's are good beginner turtles as they are hardy and can withstand owner "mistakes" better then say Ornate's. Why did the other family give it up? Just not enough interest in it anymore or it was a kids and they're into other things now? Very common reasons for turtle's being offered up (especially on Craigslist).... If possible, he/she would be better if housed outside like nature intended.