Can anyone tell me anything about this ?

L.A

This was found at the beach a couple of days ago and I was just wondering what kind of sea turtle it may be or what could have happened to it ??

10354152_1482835168600307_2194725870182841632_n.jpg 1601491_1482835158600308_8672182840181194184_n.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome to the forum. I'm not experienced in sea turtles, but it kinda looks like it's shell was too small for it's body to me. Deformed somehow. Poor thing

Reactions: L.A
M

Maggie Cummings

Well, I was wrong. I got interested so I googled sea turtles and they are not like regular water turtles. They cannot ever pull back into their shell, so their shells always look too small for them. I sure saw some beautiful pictures tho. This one is 'maybe' a Kemp's ridley sea turtle. They are the most endangered.
You ought to google them, it was very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Sorry this become your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like the turtle was hit by a boat propeller.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks like an olive Ridley. Kemps are rather small, and have a slough off at their 4-5 vertebral and get real flat. I'd say it's a male given it's size. Also depends where your at. So where would you be located at?

M

Maggie Cummings

Looks like an olive Ridley. Kemps are rather small, and have a slough off at their 4-5 vertebral and get real flat. I'd say it's a male given it's size. Also depends where your at. So where would you be located at?

I have decided that's the last ID I'm going to attempt. I am seriously no good at it...I couldn't even ID a box turtle...:) but I sure saw some beautiful photography researching this sea turtle...I said it was a Kemp, because it was so small.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Survey says kemps,based on the shell damage looks like propeller damage to me.Sad they are quite endangered.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

I have decided that's the last ID I'm going to attempt. I am seriously no good at it...I couldn't even ID a box turtle...:) but I sure saw some beautiful photography researching this sea turtle...I said it was a Kemp, because it was so small.
No no Maggie. You keep doing it. Your good at it. It's Ridley for sure. There's no way to really scale the size from the photo. So if it's big it's an olive, it's its wee it's a kemp. Wonder if the OP will come back on and tell us how big it was and where it was. Those are good things to know too. Where it was mainly.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Ah yes indeed. This looks just like a male found on playa ballena last November. The male olives have a nice red Hue

M

Maggie Cummings

Kelly, you must just have some great adventures. You're holding a sea turtle, just think, wow!

L.A

I had finals so I wasn't really checking in much, but wow thanks for replying, and I googled pics of olive ridley sea turtles and they look so amazing, it makes it more of a sad thing knowing how beautiful is was before.

L.A

It was found in Gaza, which is at the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Very good to know. That's. Loggerhead then. Keeps don't venture outside of United States and Gulf of Mexico coastal regions. Olive Ridleys don't venture that far north either. The only species in none Mediterranean, France, Spain, and Portugal are greens and loggerheads.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Here is a kemp Ridley down in port Arkansas that was nesting on world turtle day(Friday) very flat and sloped. It's full on nesting season here in Texas for sure for these girls.
image.jpg