Can anyone help tell me the sex/gender of my Russian tortoise?

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
What a Russian lacks in size, they easily make it up in pure attitude.
The size makes them great pets. But they also need a lot of room as they are super active.
Don't get two.
Oh, and they can climb like a tiny mountain goat.

Little Mountain goats! haha soooo true!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a Russian once. Decades ago and he chased my Redfoot tortoises relentlessly.
No internet back then. But I already knew Russians were special.
That thing was NUTS.
I gave him to my brother.

YERTLE_THE_TORTOISE

Denver, CO
If you meant to ask why she was only 6 inches, that is because that is about full grown for a russian. Females can reach 8 or 9 inches but it rare.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
well how long is it in inches and I can tell you
You can never tell the exact age of a tort based on their size. Every tort has a different growth rate. Some grow more one year, and others stay small that year. You can get a rough estimate. Thats what Im trying to figure out for my tort

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Everyone above is right. Your tort is female and is wild caught. Def and adult. I personally can't tell u how old she is because A) no one can ever tell the exact age, and B) Im trying to figure out the same thing for myself.

I recently found out the same thing you did. When I got my tort almost 6 years ago, I was told he was captive bred and that he was under a year old. I believed them because why would anyone lie about that? Well this past week, after looking at vet records and dates, I found out he is way older than his supposed age. If I hadn't had found out ( thanks to the TFO fam ), I would have believed he just turned 6 years old. He is actually at least 10 +.

Point of the story is that you had no idea, and you aren't the only one. For me, I beat myself up about it for a while. I would cry my eyes out, watch PETA videos on what actually happens to them, and then cry some more. Try not to go down the same hole that I did. Best thing you can do is move forward and take care of her to the best of your abilities. She is safe now with you, and will live out her many many years happy, warm, and full! :) :<3: :tort: