Can anyone help identify this for me?

MomoDontKnow

Location (City and/or State)
Victoria, BC
So long story short, I'm being told this is a real Brazilian red foot (aka the Cherry head). However based on the coloring of the plastron it really makes me think that it's the Northern red foot, however I'm being assured that this is truly a Brazilian red foot.

Are there any sure fire signs on how to know besides the "black" or "darker" coloration on the plastron? I read prior threads showing off pictures but again as said I'm being assured this is a Cherry head.

I just want some other opinions if possible :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1589058938946_Resized_20200509_135213.jpeg
    1589058938946_Resized_20200509_135213.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200518_123832.jpg
    20200518_123832.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 34

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That looks like a nicely colored Northern. The Plastron certainly isn't a Brazilian Plastron. Brazilians also have an enlarged leg scale on the inside of the elbow.
Brazilian PlastronIMG_20200519_065231502.jpg
Enlarged elbow scaleIMG_20200519_065228006.jpg

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Ask for pictures of the parents, maybe? The plastron looks lighter than typical cherryhead hatchlings but I'm not willing to say with confidence that it isn't one. It could also be a mixed bloodline with some brazilian lineage. I have an adult pair of cherryheads, and 4 hatchlings from that pair that are now 2 years old. All of mine were extremely dark as hatchlings, with more than 50% of the plastron being black.

You can see the scute centers of the individual Toddrickfl1 posted are a bit light, but his example would have still had more dark pigment than yours as a hatchling. With cherryheads, the new shell growth will be mostly black, until they start to show marbling (the white mottling on the new growth) when they are about 2 years old.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree that it doesn't look Cherryhead.
(I can't really make out the nose scales)
There are LOTS of hybrids out there now. And lots of places selling Redfoot as true Cherryheads just because they've got lots of red.

MomoDontKnow

Victoria, BC
Ok thank you everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.
Ask for pictures of the parents, maybe? The plastron looks lighter than typical cherryhead hatchlings but I'm not willing to say with confidence that it isn't one. It could also be a mixed bloodline with some brazilian lineage. I have an adult pair of cherryheads, and 4 hatchlings from that pair that are now 2 years old. All of mine were extremely dark as hatchlings, with more than 50% of the plastron being black.

You can see the scute centers of the individual Toddrickfl1 posted are a bit light, but his example would have still had more dark pigment than yours as a hatchling. With cherryheads, the new shell growth will be mostly black, until they start to show marbling (the white mottling on the new growth) when they are about 2 years old.
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate the help.

MomoDontKnow

Victoria, BC
There are LOTS of hybrids out there now. And lots of places selling Redfoot as true Cherryheads just because they've got lots of red.
Yea I was seeing that in a lot of online places, so I wanted a second opinion.

Thank you!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you for the image, very helpful with the leg scales.

Very nice Tortoise you have also :)
Thank you. Yours does have the very red head and nose like most Cherry heads. I agree with Zeropilot, there's definitely probably some Brazilian blood mixed in somewhere down the line.

MomoDontKnow

Victoria, BC

I don't know if these help, but these are snap shots from a video the seller sent me earlier. They are still 100% all in that this is a true cherry head from two cherry head parents. They said there were Cherry heads, then Cherry head red foots. I then explained that my research shows that it's northern red foot, and Brazilian red foot (aka the cherry head).

Thanks again friend! :)

Attachments

• Tort (1).png
    Tort (1).png
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • Tort (2).png
    Tort (2).png
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • Tort (3).png
    Tort (3).png
    3 MB · Views: 23

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't know if these help, but these are snap shots from a video the seller sent me earlier. They are still 100% all in that this is a true cherry head from two cherry head parents. They said there were Cherry heads, then Cherry head red foots. I then explained that my research shows that it's northern red foot, and Brazilian red foot (aka the cherry head).

Thanks again friend! :)
There's no such thing as Cherry heads, and Cherry head Redfoots. All Cherry heads are Redfoots. They're the same species. The ones coined "Cherry head" are just Redfoots that come from a specific locale. Regardless, yours is a gorgeous looking Redfoot.

MomoDontKnow

Victoria, BC
There's no such thing as Cherry heads, and Cherry head Redfoots. All Cherry heads are Redfoots. They're the same species. The ones coined "Cherry head" are just Redfoots that come from a specific locale. Regardless, yours is a gorgeous looking Redfoot.
I know it's just a coined term, I want confirmation of it being the northern or the brazilian (aka cherry head) because the seller said he was charging more since it was a "pure cherry head" and not the northern red foot.

I just wanted to know if I was being played or if it could be a Brazilian red foot (aka cherry head) just with light colors. Based on all the info here, I'm being lied to by the seller.

**EDIT**
Thanks again for all the info and help you've offered, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited: