Can anyone help identify my tortoise please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtotortoises

5 Year Member
BB_Tortoise2.jpgHi everyone, I am a novice tortoise owner, having been given an adult tortoise about 6 months ago. I would like some advice on the best care for him (Big Boy - he is quite large and a great character), but as I am unsure of what type he is, can anyone first help me with this? I have attached his photo - think he might be a yellow foot??

Last edited by a moderator:

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
newtotortoises said:
Hi everyone, I am a novice tortoise owner, having been given an adult tortoise about 6 months ago. I would like some advice on the best care for him (Big Boy - he is quite large and a great character), but as I am unsure of what type he is, can anyone first help me with this? I have attached his photo - think he might be a yellow foot??
From what I can see,he looks like a yellow foot.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Your tortoise looks to be a Redfoot. :D

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Dan. The prefrontal scales appear to be undivided whereas on a yellowfoot they would be. Also it appears to be a male (wasp shape shell).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Newtotortoises:

226118owl8mzyfxs.gif

to the forum!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Cool! You are the second Yellowfoot owner to join the forum! :D

Here is a thread with some info on keeping Yellowfoots: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13007.html

Ignore my "input", as it was wrong. But the other posts will be helpful. :cool:

Browse through the "Redfoot and Yellowfoot Friends" section of the forum, too. :)

Your Big Boy is a handsome fellow. Post some more photos, and some of his enclosure, and you are sure to provoke some thoughtful responses! ;)

newtotortoises

5 Year Member
jackrat said:
newtotortoises said:
Hi everyone, I am a novice tortoise owner, having been given an adult tortoise about 6 months ago. I would like some advice on the best care for him (Big Boy - he is quite large and a great character), but as I am unsure of what type he is, can anyone first help me with this? I have attached his photo - think he might be a yellow foot??
From what I can see,he looks like a yellow foot.
Thanks for your reply. I will try and get a clearer close up photo just to be sure.

egyptiandan said:
Welcome to the forum :)

Your tortoise looks to be a Redfoot. :D

Danny
Thanks Danny. Will try and get a close up photo posted.
Sue

Itort said:
I agree with Dan. The prefrontal scales appear to be undivided whereas on a yellowfoot they would be. Also it appears to be a male (wasp shape shell).
Thanks Larry. I will take a close up photo to post just to be sure. Would appreciate yr checking it out.
Sue

emysemys said:
Hi Newtotortoises:

226118owl8mzyfxs.gif

to the forum!!
Hi Yvonne and thanks for the welcome. Will check out your website soon.
Sue

Kymiie said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM XX
Thanks for the welcome. Forum looks great.
Sue

Stephanie Logan said:
Cool! You are the second Yellowfoot owner to join the forum! :D

Here is a thread with some info on keeping Yellowfoots: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13007.html

Ignore my "input", as it was wrong. But the other posts will be helpful. :cool:

Browse through the "Redfoot and Yellowfoot Friends" section of the forum, too. :)

Your Big Boy is a handsome fellow. Post some more photos, and some of his enclosure, and you are sure to provoke some thoughtful responses! ;)
Hi Stephanie and thanks for your advice. Will check out the thread and section on Redfoot and Yellowfoot Friends soon. I will also try and get a few more photos to post just in case anyone wants to comment on Big Boy ... he's definitely not camera shy :)
Sue

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Big Boy IS an older male redfoot tortoise.

The only real difference in the redfoot and yellowfoot care is the amount of light the yellowfoot lives in in the wild. The yellowfoot lives much closer IN the Amazon rain-forest.

Your redfoot however does not like a lot of light. He should prefer an enclosure that is mainly shade.. a place to hide in the dark and an option to seek light first thing in the morning and just before dusk.

The redfootcare link in my signature may help also.. quite a few pictures.

A typical redfoot nose.. with the 'color' on the tip of the nose -

PaulsDDhead.jpg

A yellowfoot usually has the 2 nose-plates that cover the nose -

newredfoot4.jpg

Hope this helps...

Terry K

newtotortoises

5 Year Member
Hi everyone & thanks again for your replies. Seems I am a novice forum user (as well as novice tortoise owner) as I sent individual replies to everyone :(
Think I have the hang of it now though!
I think from the answers you have all sent and some of the photos also, Big Boy is a Redfoot. I will send a few more pictures of him strolling around the garden and I will go to Redfoot & Yellowfoot info to read up a bit more & then ask your advice on best care.
I live out in Barbados and many of the tortoises here just roam around gardens, but I see this is not the best for him. I have a lot to learn, but love him dearly so definitely will my best to give him what he needs :)
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.