Can anyone guess Franklins age for me!?

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
image.jpeg image.jpeg I just got a male Russian Tortoise a week ago named him Franklin, the place I got Franklin from told me they guess he's about 4 years old? They had no information on him . If anyone could give me a guess how old they think my boy is I would appreciate it ☺️

Janelle Green

Colorado
That's what I assumed but someone on my post told me he's older than 4 because he's almost full grown so I was just curious

Janelle Green

Colorado
All good he's so cute however old he is lol I got him at a local reptile shop I was going to order from tortoisesupply.com I just went into get items for the enclosures and fell in love with him and had to take him home

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's almost full grown. That's about as close as we can get.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As @JoesMum said, one cannot tell the age of a tort, unless one knows his/her "date of birth." :(

Whatever his age, Franklin is cute. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What age do they usually become full grown ?

This is highly variable. Reptiles have indeterminant growth, meaning they can just keep growing. That is why you see some really big 40-50 year old greek tortoises.

Russians can reach breeding size in as little as two years, but some of them take 15 years. There are a lot of variables. Most of them will be as large as they are going to get after about 15-20 years, but adult size is variable.

I don't know how to define "full grown" given all of the above.

Janelle Green

Colorado
So glad I joined this site I'm learning more off here seems like I'm getting mislead information online

xtessybear

I have a russian and my vet told me their shells are kinda like tree rings, because mine isnt full grown and i was unsure of how old he was. you can kinda tell by the large indentations that its when he hit some large growth spurts so my doc said Dipper is probably around 3 years old. not sure of how it works for full grown ones though

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have a russian and my vet told me their shells are kinda like tree rings, because mine isnt full grown and i was unsure of how old he was. you can kinda tell by the large indentations that its when he hit some large growth spurts so my doc said Dipper is probably around 3 years old. not sure of how it works for full grown ones though
You cannot count rings on a tortoise to guess its age.

They are kind of like tree rings in that you see new growth as a pale ring round the edge of each shell plate, but it's not a case of one ring each year like a tree.

Janelle Green

Colorado
I'll never know his age and that's fine just hope I have my baby for a very long time he is just adorable image.jpeg

Diane771

5 Year Member
View attachment 188060 View attachment 188061 I just got a male Russian Tortoise a week ago named him Franklin, the place I got Franklin from told me they guess he's about 4 years old? They had no information on him . If anyone could give me a guess how old they think my boy is I would appreciate it ☺️
He is young but my Vet told me about Sally is unless you see them come out of an egg you can't really know