Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't believe in mixing species. The Aldabran tortoises come from islands in the Indian Ocean, while sulcatas come from the continent of Africa. There's no way the two of them would ever come into contact in the wild. So in my opinion, they shouldn't come into contact in captivity either.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
we do not due to size differences & aggression- we have lots of pushy boys.

TheSimpsons

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Friends of mine have 3 Galops, 3 aldabras, and probably 5-7 full grown sulcatas in the same enclosure, that is actually not that big. Scientifically They probably shouldn't be together but they are all captive bred and do suprisingly well together. I dont know if Im against it because I currently have 2 breeds living together in my yard, But i can see how with torts this big it could be unhealthy for the smaller guys.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
TheSimpsons said:
Friends of mine have 3 Galops, 3 aldabras, and probably 5-7 full grown sulcatas in the same enclosure, that is actually not that big. Scientifically They probably shouldn't be together but they are all captive bred and do suprisingly well together. I dont know if Im against it because I currently have 2 breeds living together in my yard, But i can see how with torts this big it could be unhealthy for the smaller guys.

I know many that do, the aldabra and galop mix is very common, even at zoos. Pictures of you friends tortoises would be nice.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Not a good idea! The 2 giants...Aldab and Galap are very peaceful. Sulcatas will go after either! Most know the story by now, but a well-known reptile shop in Orange County kept their Galap with their sulcatas...until the sulcatas turned into battering rams...and opened up the Galap!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
When I went to Gatorland (a reptile park) 2 weeks ago I seen that they have 2 Aldabra and a Sulcata living together and they were all males. The guy said that the Aldabra were sweet but the sulcata was moody.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
DeanS said:
Not a good idea! The 2 giants...Aldab and Galap are very peaceful. Sulcatas will go after either! Most know the story by now, but a well-known reptile shop in Orange County kept their Galap with their sulcatas...until the sulcatas turned into battering rams...and opened up the Galap!
Thanks. That would hurt me to see something being aggressive. So, I guess Franklin will be a only son tortoise. Unless I clear out another pasture. The Aldabra are so cute!!!:tort:
Thanks
Jessica

drgnfly2265 said:
When I went to Gatorland (a reptile park) 2 weeks ago I seen that they have 2 Aldabra and a Sulcata living together and they were all males. The guy said that the Aldabra were sweet but the sulcata was moody.
Thanks I went to are Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach. I seen a sulcata ram another sulcata. I swear that I seen a tear coming out of the sulcata eyes. That always kind of bother me. I also seen a Tiger eat a duck on the same trip. It was quite the adventure that day. It was like being in Africa. omg

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
drgnfly2265 said:

I took the family to Gator Land when we visited Disney and seen the same thing. The boys were even allowed to feed giant torts. They were amazed. The Albs were very gentle, but the old Sully wasn’t in a playful mood. I suppose that’s allot of stress being with two other giant torts, then having kids poke and prod at you all day.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
JoeB said:
drgnfly2265 said:

I took the family to Gator Land when we visited Disney and seen the same thing. The boys were even allowed to feed giant torts. They were amazed. The Albs were very gentle, but the old Sully wasn’t in a playful mood. I suppose that’s allot of stress being with two other giant torts, then having kids poke and prod at you all day.

:cool: I know of several that keep very large sulcatas and they tend to be more rough. If I were to keep or breed sulcatas I would for sure keep them in different areas for several reasons, species specific should work better.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
TheSimpsons said:

I SECOND THE PICTURES IDEA :p :p :p

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I say no. Cross-contamination is a real possibility, and like Yvonne said, these 2 don't geographically cross paths in the wild anyways.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
tortoises101 said:
I say no. Cross-contamination is a real possibility, and like Yvonne said, these 2 don't geographically cross paths in the wild anyways.

:):cool::D

Status
Not open for further replies.