Can’t find Orchid Bark, will this work?

VegasJeff

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
So I checked 4 different places and no orchid bark. I saw this bark at a local plant nursery for $5 and some change. Think it will work ok?

CA4C93A8-22B5-41B1-AE4C-B6949A25013B.jpeg

Attachments

• E36E17D3-F0D6-45BB-A032-C0BF212E6861.jpeg
    E36E17D3-F0D6-45BB-A032-C0BF212E6861.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 2

VegasJeff

Las Vegas, NV
I’m not at the store so I googled. Their site says it contains Fir & Pine Bark.

What’s up with pine bark?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Does Las Vegas Exotics sell any supplies like this? Check their website,

William Lee Kohler...what do you use for substrate in Eugene? I used to buy orchid bark in California but have always gone back to Calif to get it. You'd think that especially in Oregon tree stiff would be easier to find...:)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
William Lee Kohler...what do you use for substrate in Eugene? I used to buy orchid bark in California but have always gone back to Calif to get it. You'd think that especially in Oregon tree stiff would be easier to find...:)
Maggie

E B Stone Naturals offers the best orchid bark in large bags. They also have a line called "GreenALL" that has Fir Bark in 2 cu ft bags that is the same stuff, just not as strict a size control on the pieces, but very good. It is the one I use most and I know Tom uses as well.

There are nurseries fairly near you that carry this.
Green Thumb Garden Center in Lebanon
Old Mill Feed & garden in Dallas
13th Street Nursery - a few locations in Salem
West Salem Ace in Salem
Terra Gardens in Salem

Glenda Loth

5 Year Member
Looking for alternatives, I saw Cedar Bark somewhere. Think that would work?
I’ve been using cedar mulch from Lowe’s for a long time and have no problems. My Sheldon is a beautiful sweet red foot. But now I’m wondering about using it But need to know exactly what kind of orchid bark to get. Love these site. You folks are kind and knowledgeable about tortoises.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If anyone is near a Lowes, check out their garden center and look for Cypress Mulch in large 2 cubic ft plastic bags. This stuff costs $3.00/bag and goes a long way in an enclosure. It really absorbs & retains water when thoroughly soaked (not misted). It’s clean, safe n cheap.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If anyone is near a Lowes, check out their garden center and look for Cypress Mulch in large 2 cubic ft plastic bags. This stuff costs $3.00/bag and goes a long way in an enclosure. It really absorbs & retains water when thoroughly soaked (not misted). It’s clean, safe n cheap.
Dead ON! I use the Cypress as the base layer and put a thin layer of Reptibark (fine fir) and it makes the $ stretch far!

Glenda Loth

5 Year Member
I’ve been using cedar mulch from Lowe’s for a long time and have no problems. My Sheldon is a beautiful sweet red foot. But now I’m wondering about using it But need to know exactly what kind of orchid bark to get. Love these site. You folks are kind and knowledgeable about tortoises.

Glenda Loth

5 Year Member
I’ve been using cypress mulch from Lowe’s for a long time and have no problems. My Sheldon is a beautiful sweet red foot. But now I’m wondering about using it But need to know exactly what kind of orchid bark to get. Love these site. You folks are kind and knowledgeable about tortoises.