Came up with a unique food mix

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Here in Richmond Va the weather in winter is cold and not conducive to grass growing never mind putting a tortoise outside to graze... So I came up with a well rounded staple food source that is relatively inexpensive and much healthier than grocery store greens.

I'm using a mix of orchard grass, purchased from a pet store ($8.00), and mazuri (ordered online $35.00). So for Livingstone who's ~35lbs I use about four handfuls of the grass re-hydrated in a large plastic bowl, and 3 cups of mazuri.

The grass is re-hydrated separately with water in a large bowl and then drained (don't worry about getting all the water out, its better a bit wet).
The mazuri is re-hydrated with boiling water (it will absorb a lot of water and some experimentation is needed). Then the two are mixed together and
fed.

My idea was that the grass provides the necessary fibre, and the mazuri gives a nice dose of protein, and all the necessary vitamins, etc.

Let me know what you think, I'll post pics at some point.:tort::tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't want to feed Mazuri everyday, but that's more of a personal preference.

I love the hay part though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You might try getting alfalfa hay too and doing the same thing. As Tom said, you might try more hay then Mazuri. Using the Mazuri more for smell and a little flavor then as the staple part of your mixture. Just an idea to toss at ya:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use packaged salads mixed in with Mazuri on those days when I can't find any leaves or weeds to feed them.

We haven't seen Livingstone in a while, Rob. How about some new pictures?

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
wellington said:
You might try getting alfalfa hay too and doing the same thing. As Tom said, you might try more hay then Mazuri. Using the Mazuri more for smell and a little flavor then as the staple part of your mixture. Just an idea to toss at ya:D

Thanks for the input, Ill look into it.

Yvonne G said:
I use packaged salads mixed in with Mazuri on those days when I can't find any leaves or weeds to feed them.

We haven't seen Livingstone in a while, Rob. How about some new pictures?

I'll try and post some soon. Been pretty busy with classes and such.