Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

Nancy agicha

Location (City and/or State)
Gujarat
Hello, I have 2 star breed tortoise who aren’t doing well these days, male did the vomit first time in his life and is 7 years old and since morning he is opening his mouth wide again and again, and female tortoise is sick may be she has cold, she is also 7 years old and the fluid from nose is running since few days, please help me regarding??

rishiraj

Gujarat(INDIA)
STILL NO MATING
its rainy season and my stars not started mating,Bought a 17yr male tortoise from friend
he seems to be slow in walking ,eating etc.Should i wait or return him back.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_191724.jpg
    IMG_20200628_191724.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200628_191536.jpg
    IMG_20200628_191536.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Pari

Pune
Hello All, I am from Pune. I have a star tortoise . He is acting strange since 2 days not slept for 2 days. I am not able to understand the action.

Pari

Pune
Hello, I have 2 star breed tortoise who aren’t doing well these days, male did the vomit first time in his life and is 7 years old and since morning he is opening his mouth wide again and again, and female tortoise is sick may be she has cold, she is also 7 years old and the fluid from nose is running since few days, please help me regarding??
it is really hard to find vets anywhere in India who would be willing to treat tortoises and are capable of doing so... you can take advice from great people on this forum, see if the problems can get sorted out. Regarding the enclosure, you won't get ready made enclosures. you need to have them custom built.
I have a star Burmese tortoise . Acting strange. Can you help me. He has not slept since 2days. Not able to understand.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
STILL NO MATING
its rainy season and my stars not started mating,Bought a 17yr male tortoise from friend
he seems to be slow in walking ,eating etc.Should i wait or return him back.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Maybe they're shy ?

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus

With no pictures it is hard to even make any guess. As a first step, the best is to get them bask much in the sun. That could be a standard treatment for many common illnesses

kreena

Mumbai
hi! i'm from mumbai and my star tortoise is having difficulties in walking. she isn't eating for the last 2 days too. should i take her to the vet?

Khushroo

Yes its better you take her to a vet. I know a good vet in Kandivli west named Small and exotic exotic animal hospital, u can google them. They are really good.

kreena

Mumbai
hi! i wanted to ask that how can I keep my tortoises in the substrate. I live in a flat which is on the second floor and my tortoises love to walk all around the house. so what can i do or how can i put up the substrate in the marble floored house so that they get enough space to walk around too.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
hi! i wanted to ask that how can I keep my tortoises in the substrate. I live in a flat which is on the second floor and my tortoises love to walk all around the house. so what can i do or how can i put up the substrate in the marble floored house so that they get enough space to walk around too.

You need to dedicate an area in your house. A balcony or an entire room. Depends on what you can afford. In that area, put some 1 inch shallow plastic plates, covered with soil and substrate. Make sure direct sunlight is available in that area.

Otherwise, like many other people who live in cold regions, you can opt for a Vivarium with temperature control.

Kolar,karnataka,india
People if your stars arent eating leaves and grass,only eating cucmber and ladies finger means do this

Grate cucumber and leaves and the grass into small pieces and mix it along and give it to them,keep doing this daily and gradually increase the amount of grass and leaves in their food

Grass and leaves must be the main food source to Star's rather than Vegetables like Cucumber or Ladies Finger or Tomatoes

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
i've been viewing different posts and threads where one or the other owners living in india are seeking an advise from star owners in INDIA...
and the prime reason for that is most of the advise, help articles, terminology(except for the general ones) don't apply here in india.... it seems to be the irony that the star is native to India and India lacks the most crucial needs, accessories, necessities etc. So i thought instead of posting things in scrambled ways in different threads why not create a new thread that would be centred to help and solve issues of people like us living in india......

so i'm calling on all star owners living in india to give a little bit of intro about you and your tort( its age, weight, size etc) and where you live ( like state or even better .. city) , pictures of your star, enclosure, what diet you feed them etc........ this info would help us asses each other, solve each other's issues and problems and also teach us new better was of keeping our stars.......

So let's see how many Star owners from INDIA!!! :) :) :) :)

I'm Shanu and i live in Jaipur Rajasthan, INDIA :D

i have a 10 year old MALE Indian star tortoise natively belonging to Kutch Gujarat....... i rescued him from a friend of my friend.... and he was previously wild caught and that explains his pyramiding.....but he's still very handsome :)

Here is Max:
View attachment 41321

Photo0723_zps73575bb6.jpg

and this is his outdoor enclosure:
photo0063_zps189f49e0.jpg

His Diet:
hibiscus flower and greens
cilantro(dhaniya)
fenugreek(methi) in winter
cucumber(kheera)
lawn grass( variety)

He looks lovely

Sreeja D

India
Hey there,
I’m from Hyderabad and these are my two Indian stars,
I keep them in my balcony where there is ample sunlight and also a few pots which serve as hiding places for the torts. At night I place them in a See through plastic tub and take them inside. I place a towel in the tub as it’s winter now and it’s getting very cold these days.
I place them in a small tub with water filled upto 2cms For their daily soak. I soak them till they poop and remove them afterward(it takes anywhere form 30mins to an hour).
I feed them in the morning and evening..
but in the winter these days.. I’m only feeding them once and leaving the food for them to eat when ever they please and not like before when I used to remove the food after an hour or so.
I have them since September, the smaller one is around 4” and the bigger one is some 5” in size.
I don’t know their age but I was told they are 2 years old, but in my opinion they are too small to be 2 yo.
I feed them greens(curry leaves, coriander, spinach, and many others), carrots,beets, lady finger, cucumber, capsicum, mushroom, hibiscus flower n leaves, aloe leaves.
I don’t put water separately, They only have it during their soaks.
They seem pretty healthy to me, please tell me if I’m doing anything wrong.
and also please tell More about their care here in Hyderabad, it’s extremely dry here and winters are very cold.
I’ll post a picture of the balcony another time.

Attachments

• 4CC89B58-7650-498D-BB98-9E486A838083.jpeg
    4CC89B58-7650-498D-BB98-9E486A838083.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 72884D73-D789-4AD4-A180-D2D83F914A9E.jpeg
    72884D73-D789-4AD4-A180-D2D83F914A9E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 5399B81E-9F2F-466D-8009-756A5EEFF08A.jpeg
    5399B81E-9F2F-466D-8009-756A5EEFF08A.jpeg
    716.1 KB · Views: 6
  • FAB63B07-6D20-4E7C-A04A-4FA3AB63F1C7.jpeg
    FAB63B07-6D20-4E7C-A04A-4FA3AB63F1C7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • D8302478-9102-48DA-9CA0-760737D72791.jpeg
    D8302478-9102-48DA-9CA0-760737D72791.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

Tes

The Netherlands
Hey there,
I’m from Hyderabad and these are my two Indian stars,
I keep them in my balcony where there is ample sunlight and also a few pots which serve as hiding places for the torts. At night I place them in a See through plastic tub and take them inside. I place a towel in the tub as it’s winter now and it’s getting very cold these days.
I place them in a small tub with water filled upto 2cms For their daily soak. I soak them till they poop and remove them afterward(it takes anywhere form 30mins to an hour).
I feed them in the morning and evening..
but in the winter these days.. I’m only feeding them once and leaving the food for them to eat when ever they please and not like before when I used to remove the food after an hour or so.
I have them since September, the smaller one is around 4” and the bigger one is some 5” in size.
I don’t know their age but I was told they are 2 years old, but in my opinion they are too small to be 2 yo.
I feed them greens(curry leaves, coriander, spinach, and many others), carrots,beets, lady finger, cucumber, capsicum, mushroom, hibiscus flower n leaves, aloe leaves.
I don’t put water separately, They only have it during their soaks.
They seem pretty healthy to me, please tell me if I’m doing anything wrong.
and also please tell More about their care here in Hyderabad, it’s extremely dry here and winters are very cold.
I’ll post a picture of the balcony another time.

Please read this caresheet:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...se-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181504/

I think it could help you out to improve the care for your tortoises. I also see that you have a dog around, be careful with that. If you start reading around here on the forum you can find multiple story's of tortoises being chewed upon by a dog, as dogs see your tortoise as a nice toy to play with. However, it could badly injure, or even worse, your tort.
If you have any questions after reading the caresheet, feel free to ask them on here! As I've experienced, everyone is more than willing to share their experiences and expertise. Good luck!

Sruthi

Hyderabad
i've been viewing different posts and threads where one or the other owners living in india are seeking an advise from star owners in INDIA...
and the prime reason for that is most of the advise, help articles, terminology(except for the general ones) don't apply here in india.... it seems to be the irony that the star is native to India and India lacks the most crucial needs, accessories, necessities etc. So i thought instead of posting things in scrambled ways in different threads why not create a new thread that would be centred to help and solve issues of people like us living in india......

so i'm calling on all star owners living in india to give a little bit of intro about you and your tort( its age, weight, size etc) and where you live ( like state or even better .. city) , pictures of your star, enclosure, what diet you feed them etc........ this info would help us asses each other, solve each other's issues and problems and also teach us new better was of keeping our stars.......

So let's see how many Star owners from INDIA!!! :) :) :) :)

I'm Shanu and i live in Jaipur Rajasthan, INDIA :D

i have a 10 year old MALE Indian star tortoise natively belonging to Kutch Gujarat....... i rescued him from a friend of my friend.... and he was previously wild caught and that explains his pyramiding.....but he's still very handsome :)

Here is Max:
View attachment 41321

Photo0723_zps73575bb6.jpg

and this is his outdoor enclosure:
photo0063_zps189f49e0.jpg

His Diet:
hibiscus flower and greens
cilantro(dhaniya)
fenugreek(methi) in winter
cucumber(kheera)
lawn grass( variety)

Hey....I have an indian star tortoise...I bought him on Jan 6th...it's been days since I bought him...he doesn't eat daily....I keep him in balcony for abt 2hrs everyday...nd I dip him water for 30 mins ...
He will be sleeping all the day in his house...I feed him with carrot , cucumber, dhanya but he's not eating daily...he eats almost like alternate days...
He got eye infection also today...I am so sacred that anything will happen to him...
I live in hyd ...IMG_20210123_165129.jpgIMG_20210123_165129.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210123_165117.jpg
    IMG_20210123_165117.jpg
    868.9 KB · Views: 2