Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

yash

Thank You
and I kept my tortoise 3 to 4 hours in sunlight ... should I use heating bulb when sunlight is not there ?

warrior

hi sir i have a star tortoises his name is ted he is male i had a female tia one too,but passed away about a month ago,ted too is suffering from the same problem.The problem is that his right eye is not opening. Please help if you can . I keep him everyday for one hour in the sun. Please help i dont wont him to suffer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi warrior: Do you ever put the tortoise into a tub of warm, shallow water? This will help get the eye open. Use a tub with tall sides that he can't climb out of and have the water come up to the middle of his sides. leave him soaking for about 15 minutes.

What is the temperature inside the tortoise's enclosure?

Piyu

Hello guys
I have 3 torts 2 male and a female
That's my enclosure for my star torts
It's on wheels and the rooms are on the upper deck
The size is 48"*30"
My torts travel in the garden during the days go to there shelters during nights or resting time climbing the bridge made for them
The upper roof in mesh opens and plus the shelter roof also opens to open there shelters !
Any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1894.JPG
    IMG_1894.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 30

Piyu

The plants are spider grass !
Mostly I feed them hibiscus from my garden and coriander most of the time
Rest the garden area is lawn and smooth rocks

Just want to know how should I take care of the temperature in the winters as India has cold winters at times
I soak them alternate day in warm water
They are eating well
And the enclosure is kept in our garden
Nights I cover the enclosure with jute so the warmth is maintained
Even there shelters have jute payed on the floors
Plz suggest

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

Manish MAthew

INDIA
Recently my baby star tortoise is not active very much. All the time he shows laziness unlike earlier he used to walk around a lot. and I recently noted that he is not even walking in right way. I meant while walking he dragging his back legs.. I saw for any injury but I didn't found any. I look around on his whole body but i didn't found any physical injury.
Now I am very concerned about it. though he eating food but I don't understand why he is showing laziness. Is it because of cold season..??? Though I had kept a heating bulb in its enclosure..
please someone help me out... its kind of urgent

Kartik

Hi..my name is kartik and I have a star tortoise of about 2years 6 months..I have been keeping him pet since 1year.and I have been feeding it with hibicus greens and flowers,lady fingers,sometimes tomatoes,etc...but I have seen only slight growth in him since one year..I live in India..I want to know if this slow growth is natural or there's an issue with my tort..about which I need to do something...

Niaa18

My star tortoise intestine is blown so any1 knw how to cure that problem??
And he is also dragging his backside legs and,also nt opening his eyes and nt eating also
I dnt knw what to do i cnt see him in dis condition he is just 1 year old

Saba80

And he is also dragging his backside legs and,also nt opening his eyes and nt eating also
Hi Niaa.Are you sure it's the blown intestine.Actually male tortoise show off their male organs under stressful or happy situation.Mine too does when we put him under shower happily enjoys and then when dries retracts the part slowly in.Just check for that.if not then check with other members too.We too thought it was his intestine when we first saw it.Give him some dips of Luke warm water so it retracts.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort sounds like it may be suffering from MBD (Metabollic Bone Disease) - those dragging back legs are a sign of poor diet and insufficient UVB light. Please read the advice in the opening post of this thread regarding heat, UVB and food and act on it urgently.

Niaa18

I m putting him in sun light for hour only because he bhve as if he is nt able to bare the sun rays

Niaa18

Doc told me tat his back side part is detached bcoz of blown intestine and tats y he is nt able to move his back legs

M worried bcoz he is able to open his eyes
So want to ask tat is it good to put him in warm water with baby food in it???

sachit wagle

Hey guys, I got 2 star tortoise 2 days ago, i assume they are around 2-3 months old, dont know their genders yet, my questions were:
What can I feed them?
Best substrate for them and where can i get it in mumbai?
They have not eaten since i bought them :( also sleep alot. Any solutions? Is this normal?

Mrunal Dave

Hi Brother! Greetings for the day :)

Hope you, your family, and your torts are doing well these days :)

Firstly, I would like to introduce myself as Mrunal Dave and I am based in Ahmedabad. I have checked almost all the pages of your thread and literally it seems that you have immense knowledge for tortoises and this is the first sign of an animal lover. You've almost done P.H.D in tortoises ;-)

Shanu, I have recently joined the forum and you know what, on the first instance (My first log-in) I am glad that I've met such a wonderful person like you. Without any hassle, I've got too much knowledge from your posts/replies.

I have two Indian baby star tortoises (probably 3" to 4" inches) and their names are Alan & Gerby, respectively. It's been a month now I have kept them in captivity. I live in an apartment and I don't have any balcony here. I have kept my tortoises in a plastic tub embedded with a submersible fluorescent tube. I'll share the pics so that you'll get a better idea and can suggest me accordingly.

I was told by some illiterate from whom I've bought my tortoises, that they don't need water to drink because they consume water from the vegetables/fruits itself. So, the biggest mistake I did was that I didn't provided them water at all for a week. He told me that you just keep a silk cloth as a bedding so they will enjoy it a lot (BLOODY ME!!)

Now, I doubt whether it's right or wrong, but I am feeding my tortoises spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, okra.
I have noticed that both of them love to eat cabbage & tomatoes a lot. I have also provided them small pieces of carrot, cucumber, broccoli, coriander as well but they don't tend to eat. Once, during the winters, I've also provided them small pieces of strawberries, grapes but they didn't ate that.

Finally, I searched about some facts about Indian star tortoises from Google where I got an Indian star tortoise care sheet. From where I got to know that if tortoises are kept indoors, we need to provide them basic necessities such as a natural substrate, UVA/B lamp, heat source, places/objects to hide (because they love to hide), plants etc.. Also, as they're babies they should be soaked in water for 15-20 minutes twice in a week. I've started soaking them in luke warm water as soon as I got some info about it.

Today, when I was observing my tortoises, I found that one of them was suffering from some respiratory issue (breathing troubles) sticky fluid & bubbles coming out from his/her nose and mouth. I have also observed that only during bath times they remove white paste like substance & black colored waste otherwise for 2-3 days they don't even excrete/urinate. They tend to sleep a lot from the day 1 and they do the same at present as well. That's normal, right? Their eyes are also crystal clear and their eyes also seems healthy.

The only thing concerning me right now is that their eating habits have been changed and they tend to eat less and sometimes none, at least from a week. Not even their favorite food :'(

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP BROTHER OTHERWISE THEY'LL DIE !!!
PLEASE SHARE YOUR PHONE NO. PLEASE PLEASE...
LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON...
MY PHONE NO. IS +91 9537277739

Last edited by a moderator: