Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

Mishti

hey m a proud owner of my stars.m from Gujarat. I got them as gift from a friend. my concern is running nose. I soak them once a day in Luke warm water. after this they r basked in direct sunlight. they r exposed to sunlight fir atleast 3-4 hours per day. she eats fine, though sometimes not.... Walks n plays fine.... I feed her with lady's finger, gourd, beans all without any seeds.... and sometimes pumpkin. they refuse to eat hibiscus. can someone pls help me knowing that how to treat this runny nose... it's not mucous but watery based. wat medication is required?

Mishti

He has started eating now..✌✌... But he makes lil sound while eating is that normal or he has cold..? And also wanted to khow weather i can raise him alone or i need to get 1 more tortoise to make a pir with him..??

N thanku for ur advise n help..
though m new to star tortoise as an care taker but I have been seeing my few friends taking care of them since long now..... even I heard from them that though soil considered best as a substrate but when exposed to soil they either feel uncomfortable or they start eating old food given to them if once in a while u forgetting to clean that.....

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I'm not sure your torts feel "uncomfortable" on soil. If anything they're probably relieved to have something under their feet that feels natural to them.
Torts eating old food is common too. If it's left in there for a day, chances are they'll munch on it just the same. They seem to like things that appear unappetizing to us. Though I don't recommend leaving food in there for days and days because it will get moldy.

Sounds like your tort might have a respiratory infection. What are the temperatures in its enclosure? (Basking temp, overall temp, cool temp, overnight minimum temp)

Mishti

I'm not sure your torts feel "uncomfortable" on soil. If anything they're probably relieved to have something under their feet that feels natural to them.
Torts eating old food is common too. If it's left in there for a day, chances are they'll munch on it just the same. They seem to like things that appear unappetizing to us. Though I don't recommend leaving food in there for days and days because it will get moldy.

Sounds like your tort might have a respiratory infection. What are the temperatures in its enclosure? (Basking temp, overall temp, cool temp, overnight minimum temp)
it's like I leave them under direct sun when the temperature is between 32-36 degree Celsius and then they stay in direct sunlight for 4-5 hours and the lowest temperature over here is 29 degree Celsius

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
When you leave your tortoises out in the sun, do they have shade to go to if they feel it is too hot? And water to drink?
It sounds like they are warm enough. How long do you leave uneaten food out, Clean their enclosure, and provide fresh water for them?

Mishti

about food... I provide them twice a day and yes they r cleaned and also provided with a shade wen in sun. I consulted a vet n he said that it may take 8-10 days for recovery and the it's just an allergy... whether this can b issue?? also I read that stress also is one of the reason.... I got them just 20-25 days back.... they new to me.. can this be the reason?? though they quite friendly with me n love my presence around the.... I can feel this.... QUOTE="Linhdan Nguyen, post: 1320502, member: 84567"]When you leave your tortoises out in the sun, do they have shade to go to if they feel it is too hot? And water to drink?
It sounds like they are warm enough. How long do you leave uneaten food out, Clean their enclosure, and provide fresh water for them?[/QUOTE]
bo

Mishti

How many tortoises are in one enclosure?
And how big is the enclosure?
Pics might help.
I have two... n have the whole house to roam around.... anyways while basking n when they sleeping I place them in a plastic box about 1ft by 1ft

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
They might be stressed out from wandering around the house.
Most torts do much better when they have a correctly set up enclosure.

And torts can be very territorial. Usually pairs aren't recommended because one will bully the other, things like sleeping together, sitting on food, etc. is all bullying in the tort world.

Mishti

They might be stressed out from wandering around the house.
Most torts do much better when they have a correctly set up enclosure.

And torts can be very territorial. Usually pairs aren't recommended because one will bully the other, things like sleeping together, sitting on food, etc. is all bullying in the tort world.
ohk..... can u pls recommend how to prepare a proper enclosure so that they don stress each other... pls.... can this stress reduction will stop the running nose? wat sort of enclosure? pls guide me

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
is sleeping together bullying?? omg.... n I thot they like to b together....
Tortoises are loners. They don't like being with other torts. Another tort is competition for territory and food. They're not cuddling up together, the dominant tort is trying to stop the other one from sleeping in a particular spot.

Mishti

[QUOTE="Mishti, post: 1320322, member: my concern is running nose. I soak them once a day in Luke warm water. after this they r basked in direct sunlight. they r exposed to sunlight fir atleast 3-4 hours per day. she eats fine, though sometimes not.... Walks n plays fine.... I feed her with lady's finger, gourd, beans all without any seeds.... and sometimes pumpkin. they refuse to eat hibiscus. can someone pls help me knowing that how to treat this runny nose... it's not mucous but watery based. wat medication is required?[/QUOTE]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mishti: I believe you were given a couple of reasons why your tortoise has a clear, watery discharge from the nose:

1. The tortoise needs to be set up in a habitat that simulates the natural countryside where it lives in nature
2. Don't allow the tortoise to roam around the house on the floor

It is stress that causes a runny nose. Your tortoise is stressed.

Get a plastic kiddy pool like this:

upload_2016-5-25_11-59-35.jpeg

Put it on your patio or porch where it will get some sun, but a lot of shade all day long. This is where the tortoise is going to live, so put it someplace where it can stay permanently.

Add about 4 or 5 inches of substrate. It would be so much better if tortoise-keepers from India were answering your questions because I don't know what kinds of things you can buy in India. If you can buy coco coir, that's what you should use:

29620PL.jpg

You'll probably need to buy several bricks, not just one. Place them in a bucket of hot water and they will absorb and fall apart. Squeeze out the water and put them into the pool

Add a couple of hiding places:

upload_2016-5-25_12-4-8.jpeg

or:

a4aac4bd85ef3645c279156b03819dfc.jpg

You can place some potted plants around the habitat:

upload_2016-5-25_12-5-49.jpeg

Push the pots down into the substrate. It gives them more stability.

I'm assuming this will be outside and it is warm enough in your climate. If you need to keep the tortoise in his habitat and indoors, then you will also need lights and heat:

UVB light to simulate the sun:

MVB.jpg

and a ceramic heat emitter for night time if your house gets cooler than 70F degrees:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

I really wish someone who is experienced with keeping Star tortoises in India would answer your questions. How about @shanu303 ?